Something affecting new growth of these Mammillarias

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
David48
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Something affecting new growth of these Mammillarias

Post by David48 »

Three Mammillarias have started to grow without forming spines on their tubercles. Sun damage or virus? These pics show June growth:
Attachments
17-06-25 Mammillaria giselae sick.JPG
17-06-25 Mammillaria longiflora ssp stampferi sick.JPG
17-06-25 Mammillaria glassii ssp ascenscionis sick.JPG
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Something affecting new growth of these Mammillarias

Post by BrianMc »

This may well be Red Spider Mite again.
Perhaps you should check your plants with a reasonably powerful magnifying glass. RSM are tiny reddish brown/honey coloured bugs. When you have a severe infestation you may see a very fine webbing - like a spider's - covering the plants or strung across gaps between plants.

The reason I suggest RSM is that the new growth doesn't look a healthy colour. It looks dryish, like it has been recently infested by RSM. Eventually the epidermis will look like your other pics posted.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
David48
BCSS Member

Post by David48 »

Thank you. Last week I sprayed all my collection with the local garden centre Bug Clear Ultra, which states it includes red spider mite control. Spraying again next weekend. Tempted to use language here which I shouldn't use. Hoping no more plants succomb.
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

I question whether this is red spider damage, tru they go for the softest tissue i.e. the new growth, but I cannot see any actual damage.

I wonder what you grow your plants in and where they are kept? It looks more like a deficiency to me.

Suzanne Mace
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by habanerocat »

Could it be lack of sunlight or overfeeding?
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

I think it is fairly fresh RSM damage, before the scarring becomes apparent like the plants in the other post. In my experience, the pallid green without any glossiness to the surface is a key indicator.
In this instance the the treatment given has sorted out the mites and now the plant is beginning to grow.
I suppose time will tell.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
David48
BCSS Member

Post by David48 »

Topsy, I grow the plants in 50% grit, 50% John Innes2 (changing now to 3). The plants are grown indoors on a south window with many days outside in direct sun when the weather permits. There is some virus around the garden which has affected lilac trees, clematis, snapdragons (last year) and blackberry plants.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

David48 wrote:Topsy, I grow the plants in 50% grit, 50% John Innes2 (changing now to 3). The plants are grown indoors on a south window with many days outside in direct sun when the weather permits. There is some virus around the garden which has affected lilac trees, clematis, snapdragons (last year) and blackberry plants.
It's possible that the high level of UV light from direct sunlight has damaged the young & vulnerable epidermis. If the plant was outside in the very hot sunny conditions a couple of weeks ago, it could have been a factor. My experience of RSM is that it causes a pale callous to form over new growth and yours doesn't seem typical of that.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
David48
BCSS Member

Post by David48 »

An update is that two more Mammillarias have also now succumbed, this would be after spraying several weeks ago. I don't think it is nutrient deficiency, I have watered fortnightly with a fertiliser.
17-07-23 Mammillaria carmenae  growing head problem.JPG
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Maybe such frequent use of fertiliser is the culprit? Provided your plants are potted in a decent potting mix such as JI, they shouldn't need to be fed every two weeks. Try no fertiliser for a while and see if there is any improvement.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!