Winter losses or damage

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Winter losses or damage

Post by Aiko »

colser wrote:I hope you return to dry and happy plants Aiko.
The plants are still dry and happy.
I lost three panes indeed. One pane that went down was already broken by a storm about 10 years ago, and had since survived a few storms. But this one was just a bit too much, but was bound to happen one day anyway. Another pane was also damaged more recently, so no surprise there it went down this time too. The third pane was unexpected (a pane on the side instead of the roof). But on the whole my greenhouse held it well together as it does for 20 years already. Nothing beats a sturdy aluminum / glass greenhouse, I guess!
colser
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by colser »

Good luck to hear Aiko, hopefully last storm for a while and your setup is now a bit more rigid
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Not three panes, now I had a good look during daylight. But five. Still not a problem, just a bit more work to get them in again. Every pane cut to the right size is just only about 8 euro each at the greenhouse buildings were I always go for greenhouse supplies, so hardly a financial damage in total.

All everyone their greenhouses have survived well?
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks Bill, simple and clever idea. Think I might do same next years. Thanks
mistyhiss
BCSS Member
Branch: KING'S LYNN

Post by mistyhiss »

No losses apart from an Aloe flower stalk which had a cluster of aphids munching on it. :shock: I've also had evidence of thrips on my crassula, though I think much of it is autumn damage. I'm currently in the process of cleaning the whole conservatory and will be treating with SB Plant Invigorator sprayed weekly on the leaves and nematodes from March.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

So far, out of ca 500, a nice old Mam senilis has gone squish and Mam trohartii is looking decidedly yellow. I don't expect it to survive spring, though it has limped along since repotting last year.
Spring is the tough time though, I think, as we try to coax plants out of dormancy.