buying seed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Roger Mann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

buying seed

Post by Roger Mann »

Where can I buy cacti seed from. I live in England. I am looking for Opuntia basilaris. Do mesa seed sell to the UK ?

At one time we had the Rolands alas no more.

Many thanks .............Roger Mann CLACTON ON SEA :cool:
B.C.S.S Member 32963 Clacton on Sea Branch and Sedum Society .CSSA long time member also Alpine Garden Society. I collect Sedums and Opuntias large and small. I live in Essex and also go to Chelmsford branch meetings. :grin: :grin: Roger Mann.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: buying seed

Post by habanerocat »

These guys list a var brachyclada * on their website.
Other than that I know nothing about them.

* I've no idea what the * beside the name means either.

http://www.cactus-hobby.eu/
KarlR
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KarlR »

Mesa Garden has O. basilaris on their list. I assume they ship to the UK.

There are lots of Czech sellers: Cactus-Hobby as mentioned above is good, and I've good experience buying from Hajek-Kaktusy and Nechvil-Kaktusy (think that's what they're called off the top of my head). However, the Czech sellers usually only accept orders between November when they release new lists and up to March or thereabouts.

ADBLPS in France is very good, although their list might also be closed right now until the next one is released - not sure.

SuccSeed in Sweden is excellent and the web shop is easy to order from.

Then you could always try the likes of Piltz and Köhres who both have web shops.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Wait for ordering until you see the seed lists being updated in the 'Updated seed lists thread'.
Maybe the exception would be Mesa Garden, where now could be the right time (although they could have run out of species) as they might be less busy this time of the year than when the next list is released in January.
Roger Mann
BCSS Member

Post by Roger Mann »

Thank you to everyone who has answered my posting, I shall keep searching as I intend to get unrelated plants so as to produce seed.......................ROGER.
B.C.S.S Member 32963 Clacton on Sea Branch and Sedum Society .CSSA long time member also Alpine Garden Society. I collect Sedums and Opuntias large and small. I live in Essex and also go to Chelmsford branch meetings. :grin: :grin: Roger Mann.
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member

Post by Cactusgirl »

Hi Roger,
Cactus Aventures in Spain have 31 different Opuntia seed varieties to choose from. I bought seeds from them last year and had good germination rates.

Debbie

Ps I am also a member of the Clacton branch but have never got to a meeting yet as live some distance away in Suffolk.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Mesagarden do ship seed to UK. Just had a shipment quite quickly. The only disadvantage is the post and packing and then ..... postal insurance.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.