Copiapoa goldii - there's no such thing is there?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Peter
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Copiapoa goldii - there's no such thing is there?

Post by Peter »

But these two plants think there is (according to the labels, that is).

The sorry looking golden plant is being grown on and awaits dismemberment. The other one is a....mystery.
003.JPG
001.JPG
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Copiapoa goldii - there's no such thing is there?

Post by iann »

Knize name(s), not always referring to the same species.
Cheshire, UK
DWDogwood
BCSS Member

Post by DWDogwood »

Your bottom one looks like a C. goldii that I got years ago from Ann Shein from kk sourcing which ended up being a C. cinarescens, and the goldii seed I got from Mesa Garden ended up being C. longistaminea.
The top plant I have no idea.
But as to an actual Copiapoa goldii, in the words of comedian Stan Freberg, that’s another thing there ain’t no of.
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

I've found another 'Goldii' during my Copiapoa repotting job. That's three completely different plants, all labelled Goldii. This latest one states that the seed came from Mesa Garden in March 2002. Could be the same batch of seed that DW mentioned.

Some people have the temerity to tell me that they find Copiapoas to be boring. How can that be the case when the plant in the following picture has grown to a full one and a quarter inches in 16 years?
001.JPG
I'm tempted to say that the golden coloured plant shown at the top of this thread could actually be a Goldii - the colours's right and nobody has yet been able to say it's anything else.