Small Agaves

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
agavedave
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Small Agaves

Post by agavedave »

Paul in Essex wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:18 am A wonderful collection of beautifully grown plants - you should be proud.

I've never seen an Agave ghiesbreghtii (note spelling!) with odd marginals plus teeth on the leaf undersides like that - most unusual, even taking into account what a variable species it is. You sometimes see that in some hybrids like x nigra but not in one of these.
I have one that was bought as purpusorum many years ago and it also has a row of nodules along the keel near each leaf tip. Seems to be growing out of it with age though.

I also have an unknown hybrid that has the same but again seems to be diminishing with age,

Dave..
Attachments
nodules on unknown hybrid
nodules on unknown hybrid
nodules.png (88.08 KiB) Viewed 2939 times
purpusorum
purpusorum
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Liz M wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:24 pm Hi Jean, it must be a slow grower, as I have had this at least five years and it has not grown much at all. This is it's first pot and it is just in need of re-potting-next year.
Thanks Liz, this is useful to know.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Pjt124
Registered Guest
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Pjt124 »

Lovely plants! I am quite envious, where did you find them?
Thanks for posting, the last the most lovely.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I bought most of these at BCSS shows and events. I have found these are good places to find interesting and unusual plants, you must keep your eyes open, though. I have also bought some on continental trips.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
agavemad
BCSS Member

Post by agavemad »

Beautiful as always Liz
jankol
Registered Guest

Post by jankol »

Agave ghiesbreghtii does not usually have such strong marginal teeth or teeth on the underside of leaves. These characteristics are more typical of agave xylonacantha. However while the overall appearance of this plant does not suggest xylonacantha one has to bear in mind that the group marginatae, to which both these species belong, is riddled with hybrids and therein may lie the answer.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Liz,

I've been silent on this forum for eons but I couldn't resist responding to your post firstly because your plants are lovely but also Agave is now my favourite genus and the one most represented in my collection, now safely fully installed in its new home in Scotland.

Thought you might like a bit of feedback on the names of some of your plants.

A.ghiesbreghtii: I agree with Paul in that this doesn't look right for this sp. Amazingly I acquired my first specimen of this sp. only this year.

Mangave 'Bloodspot': This plant is a cross of Agave macroacantha x Manfreda sp. and hence the correct intergeneric name is xMangave (note the x signifying the hybrid nature of this name). However Manfreda is now accepted as a subgenus of Agave so IMHO the correct name of this cross becomes Agave 'Bloodspot'. Tina acquired my plant for me about 8 years ago and its just flowered. Now I'm back online here I'll aim to post a few pics of this sometime soon. My plant has produced no pups, bulbils or seed so it's destined for the compost heap which is a real shame since when well grown, not that my plant was, it's a real beauty.

Be warned Liz, 'cos although your post was titled small agaves, some of these will grow fast given the right conditions. One such plant is A. lophantha 'Quadricolor' , one of my favourite variegates, which when potted on in my experience grows quite fast.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Yet again, my point has been proven, 'Don't trust the name on the label'. I am only too happy to give up the name Agave ghiesbreghtii but I would like to know the real name. However, as hybrids are everywhere these days the chances of getting the correct one are not good. Perhaps it would be better to call it Agave ghiesbreghtii hybrid until I learn the real name. As for the x Mangave, I knew that Colin, I knew it but stupidly called it by the wrong name, somehow Agave does not have the same ring about. It will probably change back when someone else takes a look at it.
Strangely my Agave lophantha 'Quadricolor' seems to have stopped growing very fast. I must re-pot it next year, along with several others and then stand back and wait for them all to take off.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

From my experience Liz you should find that 'Quadricolor' pups readily if modestly.

My largest plant of the species from which this was derived, A. lophantha, pups prolifically with me and I must have removed at least 50 offsets over the last 8 or so years. Great for giving away especially at non-society events. I once did a workshop for the OU and potted up 20 such pups as free gifts for members of the audience.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Good to see you again Colin. What happened to all the Aloes?