Lithops ID please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
helenbarli
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Lithops ID please

Post by helenbarli »

I have just fotten a pot of lithops with only labelled S lithops. Will you guys be so nice and help to identify what are they? :useless:
Attachments
9FA4D366-5657-441C-BC02-67E7266DAA37.jpeg
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Re: Lithops ID please

Post by RICHAUD »

hookeri susannae ?
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi,

This looks more like L.bromfieldii var. mennellii to me, particularly because of the shape of the heads.

Suzanne Mace
Mesemb Study Group
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Very grey! Very dull colouring for L. bromfieldii, usually have some hints of rubrications in the channels, often making the channels completely red. Also usually hints of dusky dots. I think some are very grey though.
mennellii-0501.jpg
Your plants are not quite adult yet, can make things tricky. I'm really not sure what the best name is. Are we missing something? L. schwantesii?
Cheshire, UK
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

I second hookeri v susannae.

In my experience bromfieldii v mennellii can be quite grey, but more warm brownish grey rather than slate. Then again, the color really depends on the cultivation details or maybe even age (I have a formerly pale brown mennelli that is now consistently dark brownish grey, in unchanged conditions afaik). The markings also remind me more of hookeri than bromfieldii.

Some of my own susannae brood as a reference:
L_hookeri_v_susannae_ds.jpg
helenbarli
Registered Guest

Post by helenbarli »

I have repotted them, perhaos this will be a clearer picture than previous one...
Attachments
C6073B32-9DC5-4402-B238-B8ACFE51E11E.jpeg
helenbarli
Registered Guest

Post by helenbarli »

iann wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:16 pm Very grey! Very dull colouring for L. bromfieldii, usually have some hints of rubrications in the channels, often making the channels completely red. Also usually hints of dusky dots. I think some are very grey though.
mennellii-0501.jpg

Your plants are not quite adult yet, can make things tricky. I'm really not sure what the best name is. Are we missing something? L. schwantesii?
How old are we looking at here? I am wondering if I should treat them like adults or still as seedlings below 1 year olds? They are now potted in 10x10cm pot.
helenbarli
Registered Guest

Post by helenbarli »

Astro wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:44 am I second hookeri v susannae.

In my experience bromfieldii v mennellii can be quite grey, but more warm brownish grey rather than slate. Then again, the color really depends on the cultivation details or maybe even age (I have a formerly pale brown mennelli that is now consistently dark brownish grey, in unchanged conditions afaik). The markings also remind me more of hookeri than bromfieldii.

Some of my own susannae brood as a reference:

L_hookeri_v_susannae_ds.jpg
Perhaps top left of the new picture is susannae?
helenbarli
Registered Guest

Post by helenbarli »

topsy wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:34 pm Hi,

This looks more like L.bromfieldii var. mennellii to me, particularly because of the shape of the heads.

Suzanne Mace
Mesemb Study Group
Any idea on what is the orangey middle bottom? Is that bromfieldii mennellii?
helenbarli
Registered Guest

Post by helenbarli »

RICHAUD wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:50 pm hookeri susannae ?
How about top right?