Lithops ID please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JohnE
BCSS Branch Official
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: Lithops ID please

Post by JohnE »

Such a lot of variation in the one batch of seedlings and just labelled as Lithops. Are you sure they aren't someone's batch of self-set hybrids?

I'm not being negative about such plants (I know there are purists who scorn 'impure' lineage), I grow them myself, but - if they are likely to be hybrids - please don't try to put species names on them.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: LUTON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

The one right in the middle of the repotted photo (not in the original photo?) is classic var mennellii. The others I still can't confidently put a single name to all of them.
Cheshire, UK
helenbarli
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by helenbarli »

JohnE wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:39 am Such a lot of variation in the one batch of seedlings and just labelled as Lithops. Are you sure they aren't someone's batch of self-set hybrids?

I'm not being negative about such plants (I know there are purists who scorn 'impure' lineage), I grow them myself, but - if they are likely to be hybrids - please don't try to put species names on them.
I got them in local nursery, labelled as flown from Holland. I am unsure about the purity if these seedlings nevertheless, i love them! 😍
helenbarli
Registered Guest

Post by helenbarli »

iann wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:02 pm The one right in the middle of the repotted photo (not in the original photo?) is classic var mennellii. The others I still can't confidently put a single name to all of them.
Very good observation! Apparently the whitish blob in the first picture, reveals that beauty. I was surprised myself. I thought it was a rotten Lithops. 😬 and added colour into that bunch.
mary44
BCSS Member

Post by mary44 »

The photo after you have repotted them seems to show a mixture of Lithops hybrids, hard to give them any name for sure. Just enjoy their different colours and look forward to their flowers in the future.
helenbarli
Registered Guest

Post by helenbarli »

mary44 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:50 pm The photo after you have repotted them seems to show a mixture of Lithops hybrids, hard to give them any name for sure. Just enjoy their different colours and look forward to their flowers in the future.
Yes will do that. I am concerned of their ages though. Can they be treated like adults in terms of watering or should i coddle them like seedlings under 1 year old?
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: LUTON

Post by iann »

Treat them like adults. One of them doesn't quite have a full-width fissure, but they're plenty big enough not to need coddling.
Cheshire, UK