Disease question

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mike P
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Disease question

Post by Mike P »

Hi
First time I have encountered this. Photo is of a new segment from a darwini. The black spots started about two weeks ago and have now spread to cover the end. Other segments dispaly some spotting but not to same extent. I have seen similar on T. articulatus in the depths of winter but not on new growth in summer. Too much humidity?
[attachment 13365 darwini1.jpg]
Attachments
darwini 1.jpg
darwini 1.jpg (27.71 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Mike P
BCSS Member

Re: Disease question

Post by Mike P »

Second shot is after dissection. very soft black 'rot' which oozes slightly.
Thoughts?
[attachment 13366 darwini2.jpg]
Attachments
4gxYSUNDX1BST0ZJTEUAAQEAAAxITGlubwIQAABtbnRyUkdCIFhZWiAHzgACAAkABgAxAABhY3NwTVNGVAAAAABJRUMgc1JHQgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA9tYAAQAAAADTLUhQICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABFjcHJ0AAABUAAAADNkZXNjAAABhAAAAGx3dHB0AAAB8AAAABRia3B
4gxYSUNDX1BST0ZJTEUAAQEAAAxITGlubwIQAABtbnRyUkdCIFhZWiAHzgACAAkABgAxAABhY3NwTVNGVAAAAABJRUMgc1JHQgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA9tYAAQAAAADTLUhQICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABFjcHJ0AAABUAAAADNkZXNjAAABhAAAAGx3dHB0AAAB8AAAABRia3B (44.5 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Had a similar thing on a Trichocereus some years ago. As you say it oozes pus. I never did find out exactly what it was, but I used a systemic fungicide on the plants and it seemed to stop it, though the affected bits had to be cut out.

It could be "Soft Rot" on this link:-

http://plantpathology.tamu.edu/Texlab/F ... cacti.html

Our plants often get stabbed with the neighbouring plants spines.

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Stuart Estell »

The smaller ones are particularly prone to this - among opuntioids I've had it affect Tephrocactus articulatus most often, various small Maihueniopsis, and Corynopuntia invicta, etc. But I've also lost branches of Selenicereus to it occasionally.

In his book on Tephros, Michael Kießling reckons it's a form of botrytis. Either way, the only thing you can do really is chop the affected part off.
Mike P
BCSS Member

Post by Mike P »

Thanks Stuart. I will monitor the other segments carefully. Have you seen the problem in the summer before?
I may also try a spray with a fungicide.
How did you get your keyboard to produce the 'double s' for Kiessling?
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Stuart Estell »

Hold down the Alt key and then type 0223 on your numeric keypad, then release. There's a handy index of alt-key character codes [here]

Yes, I've had it at various times in the growing season - it's certainly not just a winter thing. It made a mess of my invicta slap bang in the middle of last summer.
Mike P
BCSS Member

Post by Mike P »

Stuart
Excellent link. A whole new world opens up to me......'Ai! laurië lantar lassi súrienen......' you learn something new every day.
Mike
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

This problem seems to be rather common in opuntioids, my hubby grows a few, and has encountered this quite often. He also had it on a cereoid, and I think he even took it to Wisley, who told him it was a fungal problem.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

I second that! Thanks Stuart!!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!