mr truncata

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Robert K
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

mr truncata

Post by Robert K »

that is what you can callm me now if you like. ive decided to go into propagating truncata by different means and experiments now that i probally have access to heated glasshouse and propagation equipment at college. i will be trying different methods including various leaf methods like the great post by marlon and even root cuttings which i remember someone posting about not too long ago. although having an interest in the many exspensive different types found ive decided not to go into tyhis for 2 reasons.

1. ive appreciated the natural occuring form and the mass variation alone of these plant to plant

2. i cant afford to

so that my plan i will be truncata man when i start this in the new year i will let you know what im doing and post photos as well as inform you in how successfull different methods are.

if anyone has knowledge of different methods including substrate conditions etc i would love to know
in love with astrophytums and Haworthia truncata
Bill
Branch: None

Re: mr truncata

Post by Bill »

Hi Robert, that's a bit ambitious "Mr truncata";), but good luck.
In the meantime I think you can call me Sir truncata (:D everyone is different and that is not all of them.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Mal H
BCSS Member
Branch: CHESTER & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mal H »

Less Sir Truncata Bill, more like Mr Farmer, growing so many cabbages!

Variety the spice of life, eh? :)
Wirral (Chester and District branch) - Collection mostly South American cacti.
Robert K
Registered Guest

Post by Robert K »

ill call myself truncata boy then
Bill

Post by Bill »

Thems not cabbages thems is kings Mal, as for farming cabbages, I stick to my cattle thanks less work.

As for variety Mal in the picture are 2 taxa out of the 170 odd in the genus Haworthia and I have 144 of them and there is more variety in some species of Haworthia than in some entire cacti genus.

Only teasing Robert.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Bill Wrote:
> Only teasing Robert.

Well actually I think truncata boy is not bad, what about truncata guy. I think mr truncata sounds a bit too pretentious (same goes for your sir truncata Bill!) :)

Cheers,

Marlon.
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Trevor
BCSS Member

Post by Trevor »

Bill, you can be TRUNCATAMAN !!! I hear you get to wear a cape and all... :neer:
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
Robert K
Registered Guest

Post by Robert K »

you have 144 truncata wow. how long it take you to get all those? what do you usually pay for the normal varieties and where do you mainly get them from. myself i have 9 so far which is an allright start considering when i started i think
Bill

Post by Bill »

I think I'll stick with Bill to be honest Marlon.

Trunkatman would suit me being a short fat ***.Trevor:neer:

No not 144 truncata robert, 144 taxa out 170 of all the Haworthia taxa, I only have about 60 truncata, I have well over 1,000 haworthia plants of all the different ones.

Robert K
Registered Guest

Post by Robert K »

oh misunderstood
so you not going to tell me your buying secret then?