seed germination info needed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Robert K
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

seed germination info needed

Post by Robert K »

i am looking for any documents or websites that anybody have in regards to cactus seed germination (any types) mainly on commercial scale. this include steps of sowing conditions etc. british sites preferred. also if anyone has information they have themselvers which i can look at that would also be very helpfull. so any information on cactus seed germination such as expereiments research and figures as well as guides will be much gratefull. many thanks
in love with astrophytums and Haworthia truncata
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Re: seed germination info needed

Post by Chris43 »

Hi Robert,
I am no commercial grower, but have been keeping records of my seed growing over the last 3 years (2006, 2007 and 2008).

I have only sown single packets of seed, typically 10-20 seeds depending on species and seed source. In all, I've probably sown some 300 species, from a variety of seed sellers.

My technique has been for each of these three years the same, which I can detail if you would like me to - basically nothing special, using the baggy method.

You are very welcome to my spreadsheets if you'd like them. If you do, I'll email them to your email address given in your profile here.

Best wishes,
Chris
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Robert K
Registered Guest

Post by Robert K »

Chris43 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Robert,
> I am no commercial grower, but have been keeping
> records of my seed growing over the last 3 years
> (2006, 2007 and 2008).
>
> I have only sown single packets of seed, typically
> 10-20 seeds depending on species and seed source.
> In all, I've probably sown some 300 species, from
> a variety of seed sellers.
>
> My technique has been for each of these three
> years the same, which I can detail if you would
> like me to - basically nothing special, using the
> baggy method.
>
> You are very welcome to my spreadsheets if you'd
> like them. If you do, I'll email them to your
> email address given in your profile here.
>
> Best wishes,
> Chris

yes if you send me them with your methods that would be great thankyou
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

RObert

Mesa Seeds website while not UK has quite a bit of detail on conditions for many plants which would be appropriate wherever you are.

http://www.mesagarden.com/

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Nick
BCSS Member
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Nick »

Doug Rowland does an inexpensive booklet, but you could prbably find as much Googling
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

You might try e-mailing Brian Fearn at Abbey Brook, since he did an article in either the BCSS or NCSS Journal on ideal seed germination temperatures using something called gradient bars at his universities laboratory when a student. I don't have a complete BCSS/NCSS index to look up his article and re-find it, but no doubt he can give you the reference, or photocopy.

If I remember correctly the optimum soil temperature they found for germinating most cactus seed was 23 Centigrade (= 73 Fahrenheit)

However, I don't think they did any tests on whether fluctuating day and night temperatures altered or improved germination as is often claimed.

That might be an interesting experiment if anybody has enough seed of the same species. Subject one batch to a constant germination temperature day and night, but for the next batch switch off the propagator during the night to provide the normal high daytime and low night time temperatures they get in habitat. A simple cheap timer on the propagator plug socket would switch it off overnight and back on during the day.

I don't use a propagator anymore, just stick seeds in the greenhouse so they automatically get high daytime temperatures and low night time ones anyway.

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Mal H
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mal H »

Robert, you might find this link to a BCSS article by David Quail useful:

http://www.living-rocks.com/quail2.htm

[quote=Dave W]If I remember correctly the optimum soil temperature they found for germinating most cactus seed was 23 Centigrade (= 73 Fahrenheit)

However, I don't think they did any tests on whether fluctuating day and night temperatures altered or improved germination as is often claimed.
[/quote]

Yes, according to the Journal of Arid Environments article 'Cactus seed germination: a review' by Rojas-Arechiga and Vazquez-Yanes, temperature extremes in general do not promote germination (i.e. 28 degrees C) and 20 +/-2 degrees C gives good germination in a wide range of cactus genera.

As might be expected, species vary in their responses but generally a higher temperature reduces germination time. The response to temperature also changes as the seed gets older (they cite a lower optimum temp. for 1 year old Parodia crysacanthion seeds compared to 7 year old seeds.

Interestingly, most studies have failed to demonstrate that temperature fluctuations promote better germination of many species and may actually be unfavourable. However, I can't determine if these fluctuations were ever tested with a warm day, cool night cycle as you suggest DaveW, so this would indeed be an interesting experiment for us all if you choose to try it Robert.

I personally found that the propagator I used was too warm and previously got lousy germination, so this year I too ditched using a propagator until I can afford a decent one.

Mal.
Wirral (Chester and District branch) - Collection mostly South American cacti.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I try to avoid large temperature variation during the germination phase. Some species don't do well with it.

Others don't seem to mind. Recent tests on Epithelantha and Avonia seed gave great germination with daytime highs around 30C (maybe higher since the pots are covered) and lows below 10C.
Cheshire, UK
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

You really need a soil thermometer to test the seed pan soil temperature (available from many garden centres) since Fearn's experiment was the temperature the seed was in contact with, not air temperature. The experiment was done with seed on metal thermal gradient bars with the seed scattered on damp filter paper as I recall.

The thermal gradient bars are a metal bar heated at one end and refrigerated, or cooled at the other end, thus giving a progressive range of temperatures along it's length. The optimum germination point for the seed scattered along its length was then tested and the temperature read off.

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Robert K
Registered Guest

Post by Robert K »

in terms of eqiment should not be a problem however keeping same temperature may be as it is in a very large glasshouse where the experiment will probally take place