bcss reports and figures

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: bcss reports and figures

Post by iann »

I think "industry" is what happens in China? You know, things like manufacturing chemicals to feed to babies ;)
Cheshire, UK
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

Sorry, Dave, but you're pushing against the wind. These 'bright young things' aren't going to start anywhere as apprentices. That was a different world. Nowadays they have student loans to pay off - and there's always an employer looking for a go-ahead bright spark and will pay him/her upwards of 20K straight off. Why should such a young person, itching to get out of education, want to get their hands dirty?
And - bear in mind that in the UK, different to other countries, engineers and the like are not especially highly regarded and thus don't get the pay they really deserve.
Bill G
Registered Guest
Branch: COVENTRY

Post by Bill G »

Whereas I hesitate to interupt this bun-fight between the academics (who do little - but are harmless) and the industrialists (who are overpaid - and pollute the world) can I ask Robert for what qualification this dissertation is intended and at what type of institution he is studying (school, college, correspondence college etc)?
Bill Greenaway
Robert K
Registered Guest

Post by Robert K »

i study at askham bryan college and in my second year at foundation degree horticulture.
this is however my 5th year at college. i have worked my way from the very bottom getting the results i need to work my way up.

i have done
first diploma horticulture
national diploma horticulture

not sure if anyone has heard of the place but i have also spent 6 months working at achamore gardens on the isle of gigha in scotland
in love with astrophytums and Haworthia truncata
Bill G
Registered Guest

Post by Bill G »

OK Robert. You wish to do a dissertation which has a cactus theme.
Usually in a dissertation you would provide a general introduction then give specific examples, and then provide a summary.

You could do a nice dissertation on the effects man has on the flora of this planet.The cactus world will give you plenty of specific examples which you can easily investigate via the internet -- for example the Australia/Opuntia/cactoblastis epic; Pelycyphora and road building; Pediocactus knowltonii and commercial collecting; Mammillaria scheinvariana and dam building etc.etc.

This would make a topical dissertation using cacti to illustrate those points that you wished to consider in more detail.

Bill Greenaway
Mal H
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mal H »

I like Eriosyce, any friendly forumites with nice pictures to view?

:cac3::cac3::cac3::cac3::cac3: Let me know when it is safe for academics to reappear !! :cac3::cac3::cac3::cac3::cac3:

Mal
Wirral (Chester and District branch) - Collection mostly South American cacti.
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

I think this thread has run it's course in it's present form. If you want to continue this in a similar vain can I suggest someone starts a new thread in off topic.

Thanks

Bill Hildyard

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Post Deleted Off Topic

Bill Hildyard

Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
matchat
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by matchat »

Bill G Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK Robert. You wish to do a dissertation which has
> a cactus theme.
> Usually in a dissertation you would provide a
> general introduction then give specific examples,
> and then provide a summary.
>
> You could do a nice dissertation on the effects
> man has on the flora of this planet.The cactus
> world will give you plenty of specific examples
> which you can easily investigate via the internet
> -- for example the Australia/Opuntia/cactoblastis
> epic; Pelycyphora and road building; Pediocactus
> knowltonii and commercial collecting; Mammillaria
> scheinvariana and dam building etc.etc.
>
> This would make a topical dissertation using
> cacti to illustrate those points that you wished
> to consider in more detail.
>
> Bill Greenaway

Unfortunately Bill a dissertation really ought to include primary evidence in addition to secondary and tertiary evidence (data collected by oneself). Obviously collecting primary data for a study of this type is only really feasible if you can visit the habitat location.

I imagine a similar theme could be developed around plants in cultivation with some form of reference to habitat populations and how the two are linked? Primary data could be collected in the U.K. although I have no idea what question could be posed to link the two.
Bill G
Registered Guest

Post by Bill G »

I suspect that Roberts dissertation does not need to include original research ("primary evidence"). Roberts tutor could tell him this.

Bill Greenaway