Highs, Lows, mistakes etc this year (so far)

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mal H
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Highs, Lows, mistakes etc this year (so far)

Post by Mal H »

What have been your successes, failures, c*ck ups or chin-stroking moments of the year? I know there is plenty of time left for more, but I thought I would share mine with you:

Highs - Built my greenhouse, filled it full of new plants and managed to crack seed germination brilliantly (for me) using the forum advertised baggy method.

Lows - Scorched plants when my neighbour cut trees down beside my conservatory :frown2:. My Melocactus mantanzanus lost its roots, still looking peaky :frown:.

Mistakes - Bought clumping cat litter instead of Tesco Red premium :bangh: one batch of cactus seedlings were very unhappy, but other succulents (Lapidaria margaretae and Adromischus cooperi absolutely loved germinating and growing in it.

Mal.
Wirral (Chester and District branch) - Collection mostly South American cacti.
Robert K
Registered Guest

Re: Highs, Lows, mistakes etc this year (so far)

Post by Robert K »

hmmm

highs - only killed one plant so far and got some seeds to germinate

lows - upset of lack of space as would love to develop collection and worried i overwatered my plants couple days ago fearing they will die:frown2:
in love with astrophytums and Haworthia truncata
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

The highlight was probably just the daily trip to the greenhouse to see tiny changes, new things and old things flowering and just spending time with my plants. The low point was this http://www.bcss.org.uk/forum/read.php?1,82228 :(
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Devrim
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Devrim »

Mal H Wrote:

> Mistakes - Bought clumping cat litter instead of
> Tesco Red premium, Lapidaria margaretae and Adromischus cooperi
> absolutely loved germinating and growing in it.
> Mal.

that's one very important piece of info Mal, thanks for that, mistakes sometimes lead to unexpectedly good results.
Devrim, Izmir/Turkey
member of BCSS and MSG

Victoria
BCSS Member
Branch: PORTSMOUTH & District

Post by Victoria »

High: definitely my first National Show

Low: finding two fairly expensive caudiforms were crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle :frown:

Mistakes: not managing to get round to seed sowing this year (still in the fridge from last year's offer :shame:)
Victoria

BCSS Member since 2005. My collection has been somewhat neglected since starting a PhD but I am particularly keen on Crassulaceae, succulent Pelargoniums and South African bulbs.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Highs - every one of the little plants I brought into the world this year and watching them develop.

Lows - boiling my schmoos and half of my titanopsis plants and some lithops youngsters, because I had literally nowhere to put them!
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
sandi
BCSS Member

Post by sandi »

Highs - erected my greenhouse, successfully grafted 6-7 Ariocarpus seedlings onto Periskiopsis .
Lows - The hail that destroyed about 30 plants and scarred the other survivors.
Mistakes - none come to memory at this point.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Difficult choices...but probably:

High Spot - many of them - each time a plant flowered for the first time!!

Low Spot - realising that my greenhouse is too small and I probably will have to shrink some parts of the collection, that is if I want to repot - and I have to!

Mistakes - taking my bubble glaze down just before a very sunny spell, resulting in scorch to some Echinopsis and Copiapoas - Grrr.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Poor white seedlings! :(:(:(

High:

Cono flowers - pellucidum had 7 flowers on 7 heads.
Getting my own home and own windowsills!
New workmates admiring all my "weird" plants.
Mama the obesa with root rot, getting new roots and getting fatter - presumably she has good roots now. I wish they would invent transparent soil so I could see. ;)

Low:

The baby Mamm's I'd sown from a pink chilli liberated from a garden centre plant - it fell off into the pot I was buying, honest! ...they sort of got dried up, after making it for over a year... they decided to cark it in the September sun.

No Lithops and P. nelii flowers
No Gymno amerhauseri flowers

Mistakes:

Getting a BT landline installed when I could have had that Virgin thingy instead. I only want internet, I never use the phone!
Having anything to do with BT.... may they fall into a patch of Opuntia. :P
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Highs - getting the O. emgelmanni to flower after years (many) of trying, having the Cereus ? flower unexpectedly, first visits to Havering, The National and the MSG meeting. Booking a trip to see cacti in the wild.(Yet to happen) Joining the RHS and getting access to the Library.
Lows - Having two Opuntias go down with the soft black rot, having a snail chew the surface off a couple of plants placed outside for the summer. Wrecking the Adro with white powdery coating to the leaves whilst repotting it.(VERY CAREFULLY) Still nice potfull of new plants on the way.
Mistakes - discovering that I could fill a second 8x6 in less than a year without really trying (repotting half my plants didn't help) and not having the heart to compost the old battle scarred plants that get dissed at branch meetings.(What use is the 15 year old ferocactus with the brown scarring to the bottom third? Other than to take up almost one square foot of space.....)
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch