Is there a Cactus House near you?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Vic
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Re: Is there a Cactus House near you?

Post by Vic »

I'd have to agree with you Stuart regarding the smaller plant collection behind the hideous chicken mesh, I presume to stop people pinching them although who'd want to pinch any! Otherwise I think the planted out collection within the arid house is quite good, yes some mealies lurking etc., the Dracaena could do with a thorough clean but some very nice specimen plants, there were some really nice Aloes in flower etc.. during our Autumn Show in October. Also the planted out c&s bed outdoors was very impressive I think.

Here's a little reminder:
4A.jpg
Alistair Birnie
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by Alistair Birnie »

Mike,

funnily enough, we've just returned to Aberdeen from a weekend in London where a visit to Kew was the main object. The new walkway in the tree canopy is recommended and the display of cacti and succulents in the Pricess of Wales Conservatory is better than I remember from my last visit in 1992. I can now agree that the arid house in the Winter Gardens in Aberdeen can be mentioned in the same breath as the display at Kew as there has been some recent sprucing up but we still have room for improvement.
Alistair Birnie
Grampian Branch
Growing anything that scores highly on the "Ooo, pretty!" scale
Vicky
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Vicky »

Please don't paint all botanical horticulturalist with that same brush. The vast majority are passionate about what they do and want the best for their collections. With the low wage that is paid, it has to be a calling!

Vicky
Studied at Kew 2003-2006
Vicky Davies
C & V Cacti
www.cvcacti.co.uk
Rose Green, West Sussex
Bill H
BCSS Member
Branch: FIFE

Post by Bill H »

I am sure there is a Cacti garden at the Botanic Gardens belonging to Dundee University. I haven't been there for a long time but I am in Dundee tomorrow so I will try and see if it is still open as there was word of it closing down.
Regards,

Bill H

Angus, Scotland
BCSS Member No: 48806
Member of Fife BCSS
Started collecting in 2006
Always looking for show cacti
Iain
Registered Guest

Post by Iain »

Keep us posted Bill, and remember to take your camera!
Best Wishes
Iain
Grampian
Bill H
BCSS Member
Branch: FIFE

Post by Bill H »

I ran out of time and never managed to get to the Botanic Gardens. Will have ago the next time I am in Dundee.
Regards,

Bill H

Angus, Scotland
BCSS Member No: 48806
Member of Fife BCSS
Started collecting in 2006
Always looking for show cacti
Iain
Registered Guest

Post by Iain »

1)Has anyone here visited the arid house at Bicton Park Botanical Gardens near Exeter?
Worth a visit?
Also
2)Does anyone know of cactus collections available for public viewing in the Salisbury / New Forest /
Southampton areas?

I'm visiting family in July, and travelling from Scotland, so it's my last chance for a while.
(tu) Many thanks.
Best Wishes
Iain
Grampian