Mammillaria huitzilopochtli Lau 1557, 1558 and 1586

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chris43
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Mammillaria huitzilopochtli Lau 1557, 1558 and 1586

Post by Chris43 »

Alfred Lau described 8 forms of M. huitzilopochtli to which he gave his field numbers 066, 066a, 066b, 1495 (the brown curly spined form known as ssp. niduliformis), 1500 (a white spined form), 1557, 1558 and 1586.

I am looking for information about the last three forms. Specifically if they are in cultivation here in the UK? And fairly obviously if anyone knows of seed for sale or better still, plants. But primarily it is information at this stage.

Does anyone grow these? or know someone who might....even a friend of a friend of a....:)
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Mammillaria huitzilopochtlii Lau 1557, 1558 and 1586

Post by CoronaCactus »

Is there a website with pics to view the different forms?

I recently picked up a seedling and a crest, but did not have a Lau number.
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com

Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Two years ago Pijaya posted a photo of a Mammillaria huitzilopotchli with big central spines here:

I said at the time I had two without central spines but looking again they do have a central spine, but it is tiny in comparison. I got mine from Stuart at 'Plantlife' but without any collection number. There doesn't seem to be much on the net about this plant, and I had no idea there were 8 different ones. I'd certainly like one with the large centrals. Should there be a double 'i' at the end of the species name by the way? And can anyone post photos of any of the different forms?

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Dennis
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Dennis »

Hi Chris,

I have the following plants purchased from ABCN/Southfield in the early 80s/90s

Lau 66, Lau 1495 and 1500. The two ssp. niduliformais flower every year and I have transferred pollen from one to the other, but they have never set seed. I have some photos of all three which I will dig out and post.
Dennis

growing Mexican and S. Amererican miniatures, many from seed. All in sunny Merseyside.
Sylvia
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Sylvia »

Hi Chris:

This is a picture of my Mam huitzilopochtlii lau 1495 that I purchased from the Havering Cactus Mart in 2002 which I think is a lovely form. I also have a huitzilopochtlii that I grew from Doug Rowland seed in 1988 but this has no field number.
[attachment 16489 2009_02120002.JPG]

Sylvia in Somerset
Attachments
4S9dRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA8BAgAJAAAAngAAABABAgAQAAAAqAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAuAAAABsBBQABAAAAwAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAWAAAAyAAAADIBAgAUAAAA3gAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA8gAAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAAKXEBwAcAAAA+AAAAPIEAABGVUpJRklMTQAARmluZVBpeCBGMzF
4S9dRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA8BAgAJAAAAngAAABABAgAQAAAAqAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAuAAAABsBBQABAAAAwAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAWAAAAyAAAADIBAgAUAAAA3gAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA8gAAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAAKXEBwAcAAAA+AAAAPIEAABGVUpJRklMTQAARmluZVBpeCBGMzF (77.56 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
Sylvia in Somerset growing cacti and succulents since 1977
Chris43
BCSS Member

Re: Mammillaria huitzilopochtli Lau 1557, 1558 and 1586

Post by Chris43 »

THis is the Lau 1500 form. It has a small central spine but it is quite variable and can grow longer or be mostly absent. I've 4 plants of this form, the one shown and another I grew from Mesa Garden seed, and the other two from a kind person in Malta, and they all show some variability.
And yes, no double "i", which I've removed now.

[attachment 16490 220-huitzli-03.jpg]
Attachments
Pz9AQEBAQEBAQEBAQAE
Pz9AQEBAQEBAQEBAQAE (77.47 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

I have two ssp. niduliformis from Graham Charles. They are different spine colours and strangely so far have each flowered at different times of the year.

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Chris43
BCSS Member

Post by Chris43 »

It certainly is a variable species, Dave, one common factor being that they all come from the Tomellin Canyon, and according to Dr Lau "every turn of the valley produce distinct forms".It seems odd that some Mammillaria species (to our knowledge, based on plants grown or viewed) are very stable in form and others are intrinsically highly variable. M. huitzilopochtli is one of the latter, so I would expect to see som edifferences even in seed from the same seed packet. My two Lau 1500 from seed are visibly different, although obviously share a lot of common features.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
Dennis
BCSS Member

Post by Dennis »

Here are my plants

LAU66
[attachment 16501 LAU66.jpg]
Attachments
8A
8A (96.84 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
Dennis

growing Mexican and S. Amererican miniatures, many from seed. All in sunny Merseyside.
Dennis
BCSS Member

Post by Dennis »

LAU1495
[attachment 16502 LAU1495.jpg]
Attachments
8A
8A (98.39 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
Dennis