Brachystelma Barberae

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Dag
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Brachystelma Barberae

Post by Dag »

Does anybody know where I could buy some Brachystelma Barberae plants or seeds? i have been looking everywhere and they are harder to find than i expected.
Eveandrea
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Re: Brachystelma Barberae

Post by Eveandrea »

Eve

Turin - Italy
Alex
Registered Guest

Post by Alex »

I wish! I had a really lovely plant more than 20 years ago when I was about 12, so did my Dad, it was relatively easy to find then and considered the commonest Brachystelma. We lost them after a few years and now it's nowhere to be found! I asked Bob from Toobees nursery where they'd all gone, he said even he can't get hold of them and has just one small plant I think.

If you do find any let me know!

Alex
Rogan
BCSS Member

Post by Rogan »

Brachystelma barberae comes from this part of the world - I'll have to keep my eyes open for some seed for you.

I know of a fairly large population of Raphionacme hirsuta on a vacant lot right here in the city, I'll have to look and see if B. barberae occurs there as well, their somewhat odiferous inflorescences should give them away - B. franksiae co-occurs, but that species does not have a pronounced caudex and is thus not sought after to the same extent.

[attachment 18445 Raphionacme-s.jpg]
Attachments
4SX+RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAJAA8BAgAGAAAAegAAABABAgAUAAAAgAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAoAAAABsBBQABAAAAqAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAsAAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAxAAAAIYHAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTk1AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALQ
4SX+RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAJAA8BAgAGAAAAegAAABABAgAUAAAAgAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAoAAAABsBBQABAAAAqAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAsAAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAxAAAAIYHAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTk1AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALQ (92.67 KiB) Viewed 4387 times
Swellendam, Western Cape, South Africa
Rogan
BCSS Member

Post by Rogan »

Brachystelma franksiae

[attachment 18446 Brachy_franksiae-s.jpg]
Attachments
4SX+RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAJAA8BAgAGAAAAegAAABABAgAUAAAAgAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAoAAAABsBBQABAAAAqAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAsAAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAxAAAAIYHAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTk1AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALQ
4SX+RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAJAA8BAgAGAAAAegAAABABAgAUAAAAgAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAoAAAABsBBQABAAAAqAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAsAAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAxAAAAIYHAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTk1AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALQ (80.58 KiB) Viewed 4387 times
Swellendam, Western Cape, South Africa
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Put me on the list for any seeds Rogan...

Mike.
Josse
BCSS Member

Post by Josse »

Slightly off-topic I know, couldn't help myself.:embar:

Nothing beats seeing the habitat pictures!(tu)
The more the better I say...

It's great having someone who can provide these pictures straight from the plant's habitat.
The R.hirsuta above looks so naturally lovely weathered/crackled and really does not looks like our pampered regular ones.
And the stunning flowers there are just the icing on the cake.

Thanks for the nice inspiring pics Rogan.

Josse
Josse
Dag
Registered Guest

Post by Dag »

Could you find any plants or harvest any seeds, Rogan ?
david_phil
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by david_phil »

Hi, I'm always looking for Brachystelma seeds. I have B. filifera and will try to get seeds from that this year. It is now starting to bud.
Dave Richards

Melksham, Wilts.
BryanW
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BryanW »

A Brachystelma barberae plant has surfaced on e-bay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/brachystelma ... G#shpCntId
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898