Coleocephalocereus & seed list

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Coleocephalocereus & seed list

Post by Tina »

Hi all
There is Coleocephalocereus aureus, decumbens & goebelianus in the seed list.
I'm assuming they all grow the nice cephaliums we were shown in Marlons pictures ( probably ex-Marlons seed) but anyone confirm ?
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Re: Coleocephalocereus & seed list

Post by IanW »

They all grow a cephalium, but the latter two are columnar rather than globular. C. aureus and C. purpureus (the two ex-Buiningia) are the ones that stay relatively short (although as Marlon's pictures showed, some populations seem to grow a little taller, but not more than perhaps half a metre to a metre I think).

C. purpureus and C. aureus offset so the constraint on growing them in a greenhouse is width, rather than height as is the constraint with the other two. As these two mature you'd probably want to put them in a nice wide pan.

Edit: Globular is perhaps the wrong term as none of them are actually really globular except perhaps the shortest populations of C. aureus- what I meant to say rather is that the C. aureus and C. purpureus are relatively short and stumpy columnars whilst C. decumbens and C. goebelianus are rather tall/long growing columnars.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Lots of Melos too but not tempted as my heating bills are already too expensive.

Bet IanW can't wait to get odering some of those. Couple of Cipocereus too Ian;)
IanW
Registered Guest

Post by IanW »

Stop teasing me Vic, there's 15 minutes of work, a 50 minute drive towards home and a much needed haircut between me and the list ;)
Vic
Registered Guest

Post by Vic »

Now don't get rushing Ian, remember to stick to the speed limits and stop at red lights:shsne:

As for haircuts, just do what I do and cut it yourself, useful things clippers, you might look like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards but at least you get your seed order in quick sharp;)
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart Estell »

You need to use a number 1 like me then Vic - then you just look like a bit of a thug ;) Clippers do thankfully make visits to the barber a thing of the past.

As for seed list, I'm off home to order some Cipocereus seed just to be mischievous. ;)
Vic
Registered Guest

Post by Vic »

Number 6 for me Stuart, otherwise I look like I've just done a stretch at Her Majesty's Pleasure;)

Sent my order off already, no Cipocereus for me!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I was meandering through the seedlist thinking there was nothing I couldn't live without. Then I saw a Lithops that I don't have, so I meandered again to see if I could order anything else so the Lithops seeds weren't lonely in the envelope. Now I have a list of 30 names. Oops :embar:
Cheshire, UK
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Thanks Ianw

I guessed they probably did but went for a pack of each anyway, figuring I can always swap them.
I was tempted by the pilocereus fulvinatus as I had been reading Colin Nortons article from the june 09 volume.

Like Ian I ended up ordering 32 packs::o which is very different to last yr when I wasn't tempted at all, the lithops seed did look interesting pity I'm pants at growing them(:D
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
IanW
Registered Guest

Post by IanW »

I've just had a look at the list, Coleocephalocereus aureus 'brevycylindrica' is the the short one that was pictured originally in the thread the other day.

Fortunately, most of the seeds listed are species Marlon sent me at the end of 2008 so I don't need to risk depriving others of too many of those ;) I gather from the article though that are plenty to go around anyway! There are a couple there that interest me though that I haven't yet got seed for. I've actually had the two Cipocereus listed growing for just over a year now along with some of the others, they're not too hard to grow, in fact, Cipocereus crassisepalus that's not listed is the harder one in my experience.

Arrojadoa bahiensis and Micranthocereus hofackerianus are gems, they look fnatastic but they also respond insanely well to grafting as shown in Marlon's recent thread and his older thread about M. hofackerianus in the travelogues forum.