WAKE UP! Dioscorea and Albuca

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

WAKE UP! Dioscorea and Albuca

Post by Mike »

Any advice please on waking dormant Dioscorea and Albuca?

We have half a dozen seed-raised Dioscorea elephantipes, sown last spring, achieved a reasonable size little tuber by midsummer then went dormant and haven't moved since, despite various attempts and conditions.

Even more challenging... an Albuca spiralis grown from seed and achieving an almost golfball sized tuber over its first year before dying down. But that was 2.5 years ago and although the tuber's still plump and healthy, its not put in appeaance above ground since!

Mike
Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Re: WAKE UP!

Post by Tina »

Hi Mike
I have the same problem with one of my Tylecodon singularis, I just give it a spray every so often.It's still alive just won't sprout.
It will be interesting to see what experiences/advice others have to give.

I have also had young Dioscorea do this & just sprayed or very light water every so often, they tend to grow when they want to & often seem to die back & start again- not like the larger plants which grow one vine per season.
You do realise that Eve is an expert on this genus & wrote a super article ( with lovely pictures ) in cactus & co.

Also maybe you could mention Dioscorea in your title as I thought you were trying to wake up the forum or moderators:lolbt:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Re: WAKE UP! Dioscorea and Albuca

Post by Mike »

Thanks Tina - I've changed the title.
How would I best find that article your refer to?
Mike
Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Stuart Estell »

We were talking about this at Birmingham Branch last night - I've had sleepy Dioscoreas that have stayed dormant for a couple of years at a time.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

I had the same experience with Albuca spiralis, i.e. a couple of years without leaves appearing. Conversely my Dioscorea seedlings have retained their leaves through the winter, albeit in a warm place.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

Albuca spiralis certainly seems to have a mind of its own. The first year I had mine, it did nothing. Then last August it grew & flowered.

I've also had A. ciliaris for a few years. The bulbs look fine (green) but haven't sprouted.

Both of them are given light monthly waterings during their dormant period.

-R
Ben A
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Ben A »

i have a few Dioscoria's and they all appear to be shedding their leaves now after growing all winter. Is this normal??
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

One of mine did that Ben, but it's because I think I overwatered it, as it was rotting at the base. I think I'll stick to cacti :lolbt:

Fortunately I have a couple more, but I found it odd it made it all through winter okay with that regime and as the sun starts coming out decided it was unhappy and turned to mush!

Perhaps I was just unfortunate, but if they're shedding all their leaves, you might want to check the health of them.
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Stuart Estell »

Ben A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i have a few Dioscoria's and they all appear to be
> shedding their leaves now after growing all
> winter. Is this normal??

It's not unusual - as Tina says they seem to do their own thing as and when they feel like it when they're younger.

Edit: Ian - odd that they should rot while in growth - I find that they'll take a good amount of water, even in winter, while growing.
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

Not sure why it happened really Stuart, the other two were fine and in the same soil mix and same watering regime, as I say I do wonder if perhaps I was just unlucky.

It's a shame in a way because it was actually my favourite of the three!!