Some Choice (Thelocephala) Eriosyces

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
David_L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Some Choice (Thelocephala) Eriosyces

Post by David_L »

I'm a big fan of the smaller Eriosyces, especially the Thelocephala group and in particular the many subspecies and forms found under the name 'Eriosyce (Neoporteria) napina'. The naming is a nightmare and I can't really cope with it, so I present these pretty much as labelled, and leave the real experts to quibble over names. I think this plants are attractive and interesting because of their unusual shapes, even when not in flower. However when the flowers do come, they are stunning and often underrated I think. I'll try to keep this thread going as my plants flower, and please feel free to contribute with your own photos of this group of plants
Eriosyce napina ssp. mitis fa. glabrescens
The same plant in direct sunlight. The petals assume quite a different appearance when brightly lit.
Eriosyce napina ssp. mitis fa. glabrescens direct sun
Eriosyce napina ssp. mitis fa. glabrescens direct sun

Eriosyce napina WJ264
Eriosyce napina WJ264
Eriosyce napina WJ264
This came labelled simply Eriosyce AWC 513. I think it may be a form of Eriosyce napina ssp. lembckei var. duripulpa, but I'm open to correction.
Eriosyce AWC513
Eriosyce AWC513
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Some Choice (Thelocephala) Eriosyces

Post by DaveW »

AWC are the late Alan Craig's numbers. You will find most Thelocephalas and their present classification on Juan Acosta's site:-

http://www.eriosyce.info/NCL.htm

Many of Ritter's names under Thelocephala have been reduced to subspecies of napina, apart from a few of the more northerly ones like odieri and esmeralda etc. Fred Katteman reduced the Thelocephala's to a subsection as "Chileosyce" in his Eriosyce book. Not everybody goes along entirely with his classification however.

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I can't add to your names. I can't even see the plants under those flowers :shock: The collection location for AWC513 matches E. napina ssp lembkei, although it usually becomes elongated in cultivation and easy to distinguish from other Thelocephalas. Craig did seem to collect odd looking plants that aren't always easy to name.

The Thelocephalas, E. napina, E. odieri, and E. esmeraldana, are now contained in Eriosyce subgenus Chileonapina. Ferryman didn't distinguish them from subgenus Horridocactus, to which they are very similar.
Cheshire, UK
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Thanks for the information Dave and Ian. AWC 513 is elongated and I'm pretty sure it's a form of lembckei v. duripulpa. You can see a bit more of the plant body and spination in this picture.
AWC 513
AWC 513
Alan Craig certainly did collect some 'oddball' Thelocephalas as well as some more classic napinas. I have a number of them that Crofton Cactus propagated and distributed.
David

Bromley Branch
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

Hope you don't mind a few of my additions to your thread, David, although my pics are nowhere as good as yours!

These are my two Eriosyce napina ssp. mitis fa. glabrescens grown from seed 15 years ago:
and the one in flower:
This is Eriosyce napina v. lembkei KK113
Eriosyce napina v. lembkei
Eriosyce napina v. lembkei
Eriosyce odieri:
Eriosyce odieri
Eriosyce odieri
This was a rogue seedling that popped up in another pot, looks similar to the previous plant, but could it be E. tenuissima? The monstrose form was sitting near aforesaid pot at one time...
Eriosyce ???
Eriosyce ???
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

And lastly, my mahoosive Eriosyce kraussii which is grafted (obviously!) and must be over 20 years old now - it was exhibited at the National Show in '96 if I remember correctly, got an award of some sort.
Eriosyce kraussii
Eriosyce kraussii
IMG_0997 (Small).JPG (41.7 KiB) Viewed 2715 times

David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Some terrific plants there Diane. That kraussii is really something :eek: and I love that lembcekii KK113.
David

Bromley Branch
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

E. tenuissima? You mean Copiapoa tenuissima? I'd have to say not, looks like an Eriosyce. If it opens a Copiapoa flower, I'll have to back up very quickly :)

The E. napina ssp lembckei also doesn't look correct. Perhaps ssp napina? Or another ssp glabrescens?
Cheshire, UK
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Ooops, having a senior moment there, Ian! It's not a Copiapoa is it? Eriosyce unknown, then!

The E. napina ssp lembckei KK113 from Maitencillo is from Mesa Garden seed, sown in 1999. I agree it looks much more like another glabrescens, but that is the data I have.

iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Some lembckeis, including from Maitencillo, but I can't find a picture of a KK113.
Cheshire, UK