Edithcolea grandis

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
jadegarden
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Edithcolea grandis

Post by jadegarden »

I moved mine the week before last because it was growing all out of control and on top of itself, and it just dried up on me. Best to just leave it alone and it will bloom and be happy as long as I don't interfere with it.

But there are large parts of it that I had to cut in order to move the pot so I still have plants - just not in a pot and not all in one piece! Now I don't know how to get any of it back into a pot for fear it might croak on me also (especially since it has started raining again this week) Anyway, as long as it is happy it will just keep on blooming - what was that someone said about the weather in Jamaica???
JaMaDa 876: growing an assortment of pokey plants in Kingston, Jamaica
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Ali Baba wrote:
Aloenut wrote: Perhaps they need a dry period to induce but formation, and then watering at the right time for them to develope?
You may be right, but mine always looks very miserable if I neglect to water it at any time. I reckon they may be like Melocacti, in that they suffer with root dieback if they get too dry, and then the rot sets in when you water them. Its only a theory, mind...
I think that's a good theory AB...........

Mike.
Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BERKHAMSTED & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aloenut »

I wait for years, and the flower only lasted 2 days! :evil:
Stijn
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Stijn »

My two edithcolea plants are about to flower! At least 15 buds are now +2.5cm/1 inch and growing!

They didn't have had a dry period at all. I brought them indoors due to the outside temperatures dropping and put them under artificial lights. A lot of light that is: CFL 2700°K+6500°K total 250Watt/m2 and 800 red leds+800 blue leds/m2. 16hours/day.
I believe it's the temperature that does the trick: they are at 42°C during the day and 20°C at night. I keep them constantly watered (moist, not wet). They are in a loose soil without organic mater, in coconut fiber lined hanging baskets and 3 fans keep the air moving. I do provide some fertilizer every 3 weeks.

It will be first time I get them to bloom. I never kept them this hot and they always aborted the buds. But after reading an article in the latest issue from the asclepiad society journal, I came to the conclusion that heat might be the key to flowers. In the article (Flowering the "Persian Carpet" from Gillian Evison) Gillian describes that his plant started flowering after he was away for business in a hot period in summer during which the greenhouse temperature had risen to very high levels.

I'm also experimenting with keeping the plants dry and see if that helps. But the experiment is still ongoing, so I have no results yet...
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Seems I have to add one more plant to my 'to get' list. Never ending story it is, but this one is certainly worth it..
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Frank
Well done & lovely picture, I have to agree with Anttun that it's one for the wish list, where does everyone get there seed ?.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BERKHAMSTED & District

Post by Aloenut »

Tina wrote:Hi Frank
Well done & lovely picture, I have to agree with Anttun that it's one for the wish list, where does everyone get there seed ?.
Tina,

Mine is a plant from Specks. One does see these offered now and then from various nurseries.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Frank
OK,I'll put it on my list for ELK, I know I have seen them there.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Stijn
Registered Guest

Post by Stijn »

Still small, yet growing...
buds.jpg
Stijn
Registered Guest

Post by Stijn »

Things are getting a bit out of hand here, if one may say so. Flowers about to get all over the plant...
IMG_9736.jpg
The picture isn't a good one, as the space is a bit cramped in the incubator. I've desaturated everything, except the flower buds to give you an idea. And the biggest buds aren't visible on this picture (they are on the down hanging parts).
So my advice to all: keep them hot in the glass house next summer!