Edithcolea grandis

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stijn
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Re: Edithcolea grandis

Post by Stijn »

A flower opened this morning!
I couldn't resist the temptation to show you its beauty:
IMG_9854small2.jpg
Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

Quite magnificent!! thanks for posting this, Stijn, I'm very jealous!!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Stijn
Registered Guest

Post by Stijn »

The other plant is also blooming!
10-11-11_220732_M=B_R=5_S=4.jpg
This plant is more sturdy in growth and has a more 'fresh' looking green (compared to the darker, olive green colour of the other plant).
Stijn
Registered Guest

Post by Stijn »

To you all in idea about how fast these plants can grow (the coin is a 2 euro piece, 1 inch diameter):
groei-eng-klein.jpg
groei2-eng-klein.jpg
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Who was the seed supplier Stijn?
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Very impressive pictures of the growth, the seed grown plant is amazing !was the second plant purchased as a plant or seed.
You have set a challenge for the rest of us now :roll:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Stijn
Registered Guest

Post by Stijn »

@AnTTun: I bought 10 seeds from N. Gordon, World Wonders Gardens on Ebay on march the 5th 2010. 8 seeds grew a plant.
@Tina: The picture shows the second plant as I got it.

Challenge? Well, if the means that we get a better understanding in how to grow this remarkable plant, I think its worth it.
My message at the moment would be: place it at a hot place in summer and water it well. It should be sturdy, without wrinkles if you want it to grow and bloom. In winter: place it in the living room at a place were the temperature does not drop below 15°C and water it once in a while. I'm pretty sure that many more people can get this plant to flower!
tal
Registered Guest
Branch: SCUNTHORPE

Post by tal »

Hi i'll add my twopence worth,I bought 20 seedlings from 5 different locations,from Mbuyu Succulents in July.They were i think 4 euros each,and about 2 to three inches high,one from "Bamba"was 5(its now approx.9inches).They have all tripled in size,and now subtle differences are showing in how the plants "look"from each location.They are growing strongly and in "character".Each plant is potted in a very free draining compost with a piece of hanging basket liner on the bottom as a "wick",this is then put in anther pot with a 3inch layer of JI no3 with some sharp sand,this is the bit i water on a fairly regular basis.The roots grow down into the bottom very quickly,one i dropped had roots like a "mangrove" a piece that broke off started rooting in 2weeks.Temp min 80 to110 or more when sun out ,humidity 70% i also have two 5foot "plant lights"(for aquariums) approx. 10 inches above them 16 hours a day.I think its fair to say you can nearly "see" them growing,i think i should add the J.I. comes up the pot side about an inch.Sorry to use inches instead of cms but i'm from the old school and couldn't be bothered to sit here with a ruler!!Tal
Stijn
Registered Guest

Post by Stijn »

The flowers on my Edithcolea plant from Somalia have opened today!
001-2.jpg
002-2.jpg
The flower surface is not flat, but kind of 'nippled':
008.jpg
The flowers look quite different from the 'common' form:
001-3.jpg
Anyone else that has yet another different form of this species?
BCS
Registered Guest

Post by BCS »

Hello all, I know this is an old thread but it was exciting to hear about people's success with Edithcolea, so a couple of months ago I purchased one to try myself.

This one below has grown two flower buds and new branches. Today the biggest bud seems to be shriveling even though it's perlite is damp. It's very warm on a heat pad which it seemed to respond well to a month or so ago, when it really took of growing.

Does anyone know why it's flower bud is shrinking/shriveling? It has plenty of light and water, I'm not sure what could be the problem but I was hoping to see the flower, and now it's not looking so good.

The first two photos below are the flower bud today, and the last one is of the same bud from two days ago.

Thank you for any suggestions or tips
Attachments
IMG_2174.jpeg
FullSizeRender-3.jpeg
FullSizeRender-2.jpeg