Lithops field numbers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
topsy
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Lithops field numbers

Post by topsy »

Hi,

Can anyone help me with a, what I believe is, field number for a Lithops: FO012A - Lithops aucampiae "nugget". And does anyone know what is supposed to be different about this plant over other aucampiaes?

Thanks, Suzanne
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Lithops field numbers

Post by Diane »

I have it, Suzanne - but can't answer your question! Maybe just another colour form, like "Dark wine" FO01? Mine look more tan-orange than the one I have as the type.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Lindsey »

Me too! ( My source was not a Forum member ) Nothing unusual about my plant.
Just checked through Keith Green's 3-part "Lithops Scrapbook" article in the Journal, I can find no mention of 'Nugget'. Keith might be the best person to ask. I'm not even sure about the "F" number, I think it's a seed list but can't remember whose :S
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

F001A refers to a Frik du Plooy Danielskuil collection. There are several forms in circulation, with variously dark red and more or less open windows. F0012A would be a typo. F012A is a L. bromfieldii collection.
Cheshire, UK
Peter B
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Peter B »

Mine are seedlings yet and only just potted on for the first time. Certainly the face seems open with few or no islands. The seed came from Hoes in Belgium and I found all his seed gave good germination.

Peter B Manchester Branch
Peter B,
Manchester Branch Chairman
NCSS/BCSS member since late 1960's - strong interest in mesembs in general and Lithops in particular, Haworthias and enjoy growing all forms of cacti & succulents
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Thanks a bunch everyone, knew I could rely on you. The query was not direcly mine but a MSG member's. He is growing some from seed and wondered if with the name nugget they should be golden as a percentage of his are!

Thanks from both of us, Suzanne
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Found this picture of "Nugget" in "Olivacea's Blog" on the internet. Little blobs of gold - yes!

http://pics.livejournal.com/olivacea/pic/0000cxwx/
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Here's a pic of my three seedlings of L. aucampiae "Nugget" - don't know if this helps!
Lithops aucampiae "Nugget" FO012A
Lithops aucampiae "Nugget" FO012A
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Peter B
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Peter B »

I suspect, as with many specially selected forms of plants, that there will be many more 'ordinary forms' of aucampiae than there will of the form that caused the name 'Nugget' to be erected. Mine are presently too small to show the adult features so I will just have to wait and see. This certainly happened with many of the cultivars and this warning was often quoted by Steve Hammer about L. meyeri 'Hammeruby'.

Peter B Manchester Branch
Peter B,
Manchester Branch Chairman
NCSS/BCSS member since late 1960's - strong interest in mesembs in general and Lithops in particular, Haworthias and enjoy growing all forms of cacti & succulents
tonyironscacti
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by tonyironscacti »

Hi,

Just noticed this post.

This plant is from Frik du Ploy [ dec'd ] seed ....the correct number is FO01.2A

These plants I sell here in the UK from this seed that I germinate myself.

Good growing,

Tony.