Convention

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Convention

Post by Bill »

Well not long to go now, Just wondering who out of our happy band will be attending and whether we can find time for a meet. Me I'll be there for the whole weekend.

Bill
Malcolm
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Convention

Post by Malcolm »

Hello,
I'm going, if I get there early on friday I might try a few from the brewery round a few corners.
See you.
Malcolm Humphries
Watford.
BCSS 49096
Harrow Branch since 2007
Fan of Blues Singer Emily Druce
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Bill,

A Forum meet up would be great. We did try to fit this formally into the programme but it's very busy. Some get together ought to be possible.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
phil
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by phil »

I'm there all weekend and looking forward to meeting up with Forum members again.
Phil. (Kent, England) BCSS Herne Bay & District Branch.
Collecting Cacti-1961. Forum member-September 2004.
Favourites= Mexican miniatures.
http://www.cactusplant.co.uk
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Stuart Estell »

I'll be there too - looking forward to seeing everyone, and trying not to buy too many haworthias. Or anything else. :duh:
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Have a great Convention everybody. (tu)

Afraid I could not justify two such events in one year, so settled for The Cactus Explorers Club weekend at Leicester University on 17th-19th September that replaced the old Chileans weekend, but now covering both N. and S. American cacti I believe?

I have not been for about 10+ years, so presumably for a dedicated cactophile like me there will still be no talks on "Other Succulents" taking up the time! :lol:

DaveW :smile:
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

DaveW wrote:Have a great Convention everybody. (tu)

Afraid I could not justify two such events in one year, so settled for The Cactus Explorers Club weekend at Leicester University on 17th-19th September that replaced the old Chileans weekend, but now covering both N. and S. American cacti I believe?

I have not been for about 10+ years, so presumably for a dedicated cactophile like me there will still be no talks on "Other Succulents" taking up the time! :lol:

DaveW :smile:
Well dave, The Explorers Club needs to get to up to speed to where the action is these days, i.e. non-cactus succulents, especially aloes and agaves. :roll:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Stuart Estell wrote:I'll be there too - looking forward to seeing everyone, and trying not to buy too many haworthias. Or anything else. :duh:
Hi Stuart,

There should be plenty of agaves for sale, so you could buy some real plants instead. And the naming of agaves is far less controversial than for haworthias, so less label rewriting required. :wink:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Stuart Estell »

Colin Walker wrote:
Stuart Estell wrote:I'll be there too - looking forward to seeing everyone, and trying not to buy too many haworthias. Or anything else. :duh:
Hi Stuart,

There should be plenty of agaves for sale, so you could buy some real plants instead. And the naming of agaves is far less controversial than for haworthias, so less label rewriting required. :wink:
Agaves? No thanks, Colin - I have to draw the line somewhere! :cool: Although I did buy some aloes at our last show, and have several pots full of young aloe seedlings from the Haworthia Society seed list... :duh:

Do you know if any of the likely sellers do hoyas?
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Only use for Aloes and Agaves is for fibre and putting in shampoo's. You might just as well grow Yucca's in the garden if you want something that looks like those! :lol:

Have a good Convention anyway, I shan't loose sleep on missing pictures of Aloes and Agave's, the cacti maybe! The advantage of more people switching to Other Succulents would be more cheap cacti on the market for me and dearer Other Succulents for them! :twisted:

Its still The British Cactus and Succulent Society, so only cacti are considered worthy of being singled out from the rest! Try and change the name to "The British Succulent Society" and see what a reaction you would get from the membership. :smile:

DaveW :grin:
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.