Ceraria pygmaea

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Ceraria pygmaea

Post by Tina »

Hi All
Just thought I's ask for some advice on this specie, I have 2 plants & noticed the other week that one had set seed, when I prodded it this weekend the seed cases just fell off so do I sow it straight away ?.

I have posted pictures of pods & the other plant in still busy flowering, apparently it's dioecious female flowers are small /pinkish , males are small/green so I will need to have a closer look
Ceraria pygmaea
Ceraria pygmaea
Ceraria pygmaea seed
Ceraria pygmaea seed
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Roger Mann
BCSS Member
Branch: CORNWALL

Re: Ceraria pygmaea

Post by Roger Mann »

Its nice to see flowers, mine soak up the sun but have never shown a flower.............Roger.
B.C.S.S Member 32963 Clacton on Sea Branch and Sedum Society .CSSA long time member also Alpine Garden Society. I collect Sedums and Opuntias large and small. I live in Essex and also go to Chelmsford branch meetings. :grin: :grin: Roger Mann.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

I sowed the seed early Septemeber & within 3 days they were germinating, I was shocked by the speed & numbers as all seed germinated.
Ceraria pygmaea seedlings
ceraria namaquensis B.jpg (127.68 KiB) Viewed 3658 times
The seedlings have been under lights & have grown really well & needed repotting as they were getting a little crowded.
Some have quite stocky little turnip roots, I have also topped a couple to see if they will branch, I have seen these as nice bonsai plants.
ceraria pygmaea.jpg (80.92 KiB) Viewed 3658 times
and here they are 4 months later before a repot.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

Well done, Tina! looks like you've cornered the Ceraria market!! (tu)
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Morgans Beauty
Registered Guest

Post by Morgans Beauty »

that is the plant i'm looking for a long time. now i would like to sow them but did'nt have a source for the seed :???:

@tina: very nice plants!! would you like to tell me something about the conditions (temps, light, soil) of your successfull sowing?
regards michael
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Michael
Sorry I sowed all the seed not realing it would all germinate.
The temp was 25C daytime & 18C night time, with an 11 hr day cycle.
We can probably sort something out if you want one but it would need to be a bit warmer first as they are used to the heat & this weather would be a shock.
Tina

Bucks, UK
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

Hi Tina
And at 4 months old they already have a caudex ?

Regards
Philippe Richaud
Le Cannet France
Morgans Beauty
Registered Guest

Post by Morgans Beauty »

oh yes tina that would be really nice (tu) i can wait patiently ;-) pls PM me if the weather conditions are ok!

edit: found a source for seeds (tu) http://www.atomic-plant.de/
regards michael