Artificial lighting (again again)

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AnTTun
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Artificial lighting (again again)

Post by AnTTun »

I have read original topic and 'again' topic. I'd say that I got the theory but I would appreciate if forum members would share their practical experience. I guess it might help some other members as well.

A couple of questions I could think of are as follows...

1. How many neon pipes/lights you use?
2. How long are they?
3. How far from plants are they?
4. Are they above plants only or you have some at sides too?
5. Do you use any mirrors or other reflecting surfaces?
6. Do you use any glass or other see thru material between light and plants?
7. Which 'K's you use? (manufacturers use different color terminology, but most of them use the same K marks, 6400K, 4000K, 2700K)
8. Any suggestions what to pay attention to? Tips & tricks?

Thanks a lot in advance :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
anders
Registered Guest

Re: Artificial lighting (again again)

Post by anders »

1. 4 (T5). Not neon, ordinary low-pressure mercury arc fluorescent tubes with electronic ballasts.
2. 55 cm.
3. About 40 cm.
4. Above.
5. Reflecting side panels and a crude reflector above the tubes.
6. No.
7. 4000 K (I did not have much to choose from).

I use it mostly for raising seedlings, it must be too weak for adult plants.
Torbjorn
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Torbjorn »

For sowing seeds, I use an assembly of 4 fluorescent tubes spaced at about 15 cm.
120 cm
~40 cm above the trays
directly above the seedling trays
reflector above
In the beginning the pots are inside "minigreenhouses", later (2-4 months) fully open.
Cold White, I think, whatever that is in Colour temperature.

For mature plants this setup is to week, and is getting to warm.
For wintergrowing plants I use a 400 W HPS ( High pressure Sodium) lamp about 1 m above the table with those plants. The problem is, I need to have extra ventilation to keep the temperature down even in the winter.
Torbjörn
Stockholm, Sweden
JoelR
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by JoelR »

I have my set up in my garage (now moved from greenhouse) Tobjorn. I used something called Mylar sheeting (should be easy to find online) which is like aluminium foil only more reflective. I wrapped polystyrene sheets cut to size in this stuff and lined the sides of my wooden box with it. In the bottom of the box is a soil warming cable connected to a digital thermometer set to 23C. My light is bigger and better than I need but it's a 125W "Envirolight" complete with reflector which is supended from adjustable hangers (from jungleseeds.com) currently about 40cm from my seedlings. It's connected to a timer plug which is set to provide 14 hours of "daylight". The light also gives out a fair amount of heat so the temperature is slightly cooler at "night". Last winter in the greenhouse, night time temperatures were getting as low as 12C but my seedlings kept on growing! I'm hoping I'll have better temperature control this winter.
All in all quite proud of my creation not least because it actually works!! :ugeek:
Joel
West Yorks
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Five 48" T8 Lumilux tubes in an 8 square foot white box. Extractor fan required to keep the heat down.

Total lumens = 16,500
Intensity at the plants = 1600 foot-candles, too much for seed starting but good for overwintering and year old plants.
lights1.jpg
I also have another similar arrangement with seven tubes in a cooler part of the house, and a smaller seed starting box with lower lights levels.
Cheshire, UK
vaida
Registered Guest

Post by vaida »

What about lithops? Is 36W enough for seedlings (and seed starting) during winter, or shall I go for 58W? And which ones are better, some special 'flora' lamps, 'cool white' or should it be one bluish, one white? :???:
Into mesembs. Mainly Lithops.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Is 36W enough for seedlings (and seed starting) during winter, or shall I go for 58W?
Wrong question. It doesn't matter what the total power is, only how much light you can get onto a particular area. 36W focussed onto a single pot would fry anything, while 58W is pathetic for illuminating a sports stadium.

This level of fluorescent lighting is completely inadequate for growing Lithops year round, and not especially useful in winter. Just tuck them away somewhere cool and wait for the sun to come back. Save you lights for things that need the light in winter, winter growers, small seedlings, and other things that don't do well with a long cool dormancy.
Cheshire, UK
vaida
Registered Guest

Post by vaida »

I do not worry about my bigger lithops, but what do I do with small seedlings that need water? They need light as well… Last year they grew too tall because my lamps were not strong enough to keep them happy. I don't want it to happen this winter as I have new baby lithops raised from seeds. So I thought stronger lamps might help :roll:
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

vaida wrote:I do not worry about my bigger lithops, but what do I do with small seedlings that need water? They need light as well… Last year they grew too tall because my lamps were not strong enough to keep them happy. I don't want it to happen this winter as I have new baby lithops raised from seeds. So I thought stronger lamps might help :roll:
But do you really want to give them an amount of water that tricks them to grow? I only spray some water on the top layer of the soil for my seedlings. Just a few times during winter, maybe once a month or so. The warmth-loving seedlings (say, of Uebelmannia) will get just as little water but a bit more frequent, simply because the will lose more moist.

All the seedlings will get enough to keep them from drying out, but not enough to encourage them to grow. A low temperature will help to not-encourage them, of course, and will help to prevent unnecessary lost of body water mass.
vaida
Registered Guest

Post by vaida »

Aiko wrote: I only spray some water on the top layer of the soil for my seedlings. Just a few times during winter, maybe once a month or so.
Thanks, Aiko, I might just do that with some of them :wink:

But I intend to sow a few more as well, so lighting question is still important. I’ve calculated the area it would cover and it should be around 7 square foot. If I get two T8 36W lamps for that area, will it be enough for raising from seed?