Advise on new greenhouse and foundations

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
LithopsRule
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Advise on new greenhouse and foundations

Post by LithopsRule »

Hugely appreciated!

Should there be a BCSS Guide to Foundationing a Greenhouse to save these sorts of individual queries?
Euan Arnott (Cheshire, UK)

Novice grower renewing his teenage enthusiasm. Rapidly burgeoning Lithops, Lophophora, and Ferocactus populations, plus a few old stalwarts which have acompanied me through the years!
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by AnTTun »

I vote yes :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
EddieA
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH SURREY

Post by EddieA »

What we need are some serious FAQs here.
Everybody has to search read lots of posts to extract relevent data or make a new enquiry.
This knowledge needs to be preserved and made more accessible
Along with info about compost, cat litter etc etc
Eddie
Special interests: Aloes, Crassula, Epiphytic Cacti & Hoya
North Surrey BCSS Member
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Sounds like 'direction: library' :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Bill

Post by Bill »

EddieA wrote:What we need are some serious FAQs here.
Everybody has to search read lots of posts to extract relevent data or make a new enquiry.
This knowledge needs to be preserved and made more accessible
Along with info about compost, cat litter etc etc
Eddie
Check out the Library Eddie

Bill
Bill

Post by Bill »

LithopsRule wrote:Hugely appreciated!

Should there be a BCSS Guide to Foundationing a Greenhouse to save these sorts of individual queries?
We could but then it would be one less thing to discuss and offer an opinion on.

Bill
LithopsRule
BCSS Member

Post by LithopsRule »

I sort of agree that it is nice to actually interact :eek: when one has a question to ask, but there are sometimes topics that keep :roll: getting revisted and it seems a lot of effort for all the kind people who responded to me to do so again and again?

I personally think a FEW BCSS Guides on really common topic would be a useful addition to the repertoire.

Then people could still ask the questions, but start from a position of having read the previous guidance rather than starting from scratch each time?

I (for one) would like a BCSS Germination guide too.

The "Library" is just a compendium of old threads containing useful info, is it? To me this is NOT quite the same as a "Guide". It is quite cumbersome (and sometimes confusing) to read through great strings of posts, especially for beginners, and surely encouraging beginners is a key aim of the BCSS.

Rather than just advocate, why don't I get off my rear and act, I hear you cry? Well said...!
My current plan is to write a few of my own "Guides" based on the wonderful accumulated wisdom in things like the "Library" and then share freely with whoever feels a summary would be useful (with due acknowledgement for all the kind contributors whose suggestions I am simply summarising succinctly). If anyone else wants to do so ttoo, then we would have spontaneous Guides witten for free...

Yours, E

Novice grower renewing his teenage enthusiasm. Rapidly burgeoning Lithops, Lophophora, and Ferocactus populations, plus a few old stalwarts which have acompanied me through the years!
Bill

Post by Bill »

LithopsRule wrote:I sort of agree that it is nice to actually interact :eek: when one has a question to ask, but there are sometimes topics that keep :roll: getting revisted and it seems a lot of effort for all the kind people who responded to me to do so again and again?
See I am clever, for instance I often get emails from members of the public about what can they do with the giant cactus in the conservatory, which usually turn out be Euphorbias, so I have a draft email that I just tailor to the individual.
LithopsRule wrote: I personally think a FEW BCSS Guides on really common topic would be a useful addition to the repertoire.

Then people could still ask the questions, but start from a position of having read the previous guidance rather than starting from scratch each time?

I (for one) would like a BCSS Germination guide too.
http://www.bcss.org.uk/seedraising.php :wink:
LithopsRule wrote: The "Library" is just a compendium of old threads containing useful info, is it? To me this is NOT quite the same as a "Guide". It is quite cumbersome (and sometimes confusing) to read through great strings of posts, especially for beginners, and surely encouraging beginners is a key aim of the BCSS.

Rather than just advocate, why don't I get off my rear and act, I hear you cry? Well said...!
My current plan is to write a few of my own "Guides" based on the wonderful accumulated wisdom in things like the "Library" and then share freely with whoever feels a summary would be useful (with due acknowledgement for all the kind contributors whose suggestions I am simply summarising succinctly). If anyone else wants to do so ttoo, then we would have spontaneous Guides witten for free...

Yours, E
Don't let me discourage you Euan, have a go and see what you come up with and if it's good enough we'll see if we can't find a home for it, be careful though you might find yourself lumbered with a job :lol:

Bill
EddieA
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH SURREY

Post by EddieA »

Thanks Bill and co. but I have looked at the library on many occasions and I agree with Euan on this
The library as presented so far cannot compare with a series of good FAQs or guides.

Eddie
Special interests: Aloes, Crassula, Epiphytic Cacti & Hoya
North Surrey BCSS Member
LithopsRule
BCSS Member

Post by LithopsRule »

As Bill says, it is the TIME it takes to write comprehensive instructions/information that is the killer...

I had in mind a germination table where there were columns for things like:
Species (or often just Genus!)
Seed lifetime estimate (by rough catalogies like "Long" and "Short", where known)
Germination temperature range (maybe indicated by letters - e.g. A = 65 to 75degC, etc.)
Photoblasticity (light requirement for germination itself) and hence Seed Depth (surface / buried)
Dormancy-breaking (often pretty key and can be a real mystery to non-afficionados)
Typical germination rates, times, patterns for good seed
Relative growth rate (Fast, Medium, Slow)
Damp-tolerance of emerged seedlings (relative measure)
Comments (e.g. inhibited by Chinsol, how to test for good seed, etc.)

We seem to have wandered of-topic from my new greenhouse, though...? :wink: