Chinosol

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chris43
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Re: Chinosol

Post by Chris43 »

Maybe this would be a better source. I don't know what the postage would be, but maybe not too much more than 12€?

Online Phamacy

or their shop on German eBay

Though I can't get any hits on Chinosol in a worldwide search from eBay UK. Odd. Maybe there is some restriction.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Philip B
BCSS Member

Post by Philip B »

From some info in the back of my mind I believe I was told a few years ago that Chinosol under another name is available through continental pharmacies as a treatment for medical problems associated with foot infections which are fungus related. This product was significantly cheaper (I was lead to believe) so might be worth investigating.
Philip
Manchester Branch

Supplier of Pots and Bowls (BEF Square Pots)
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by IanW »

Chris43 wrote:Though I can't get any hits on Chinosol in a worldwide search from eBay UK. Odd. Maybe there is some restriction.
I think it's just that eBay's search systems are crap. I find they spontaneously are unable to find things that would never in a million years be banned but are clearly there if you trawl around or get given a direct link by somebody. It's quite annoying, sometimes you can have two computers running side by side, perform exactly the same search, and get completely different results.

I'll keep my fingers crossed but it's been okay for me this last 6 months or a year or so (at least I think - it's hard to know when results aren't there after all) but prior to that every now and then there'd be a period of maybe a few months at a time where it just completely excludes some sellers or products from my search results. A search for "Arrojadoa" might find nothing even when there are sellers whom if you visit their items to sale directly clearly had some for sale for example. I think their search system is just very very buggy.
LithopsRule
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by LithopsRule »

I have used the Kakteen-Hage product before for some years to good effect, and have no reason to doubt that it is the right stuff (correct color, correct pH of solution, correct result on plants), but I have not got any proton NMR data, etc. to check for purity: I will see what I can do on that score...

German do indeed soak their feet in a version of Chinosol to treat fungal nails, but at 17 Euro for 50g, it is more expensive than the horticultural grade from Kakteen-Haage (13 Euro / 80g). However, I agree that I might feel more happy about purity buying a German pharmaceutical rather than a horticultural powder. And it is nicely supplied in 1g tablets, so no more guessing about quantities. Good tip: thanks.

One just has to watch out for the excipients (the other things in the tablets which are not the active ingredient) in case they are in any way phytotoxic. But I cannot imagine that silica, talc, and macrogol 6000 will do my plants any harm (the last one is polyethyleneglycol or PEG, in case that name is more familiar).

Anyway, I have accumulated some takers on shared postage, so I will get some more in send it out to interested takers. Any last-minute folks wanting to join the band-wagon, please PM me ASAP.

Ta, E
Euan Arnott (Cheshire, UK)

Novice grower renewing his teenage enthusiasm. Rapidly burgeoning Lithops, Lophophora, and Ferocactus populations, plus a few old stalwarts which have acompanied me through the years!