Seed envelope sources?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ChrisR
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Seed envelope sources?

Post by ChrisR »

I personally use these, great value and perfect for the job - but I don't think Staples UK has them. Steven Hammer uses them too and well worth bringing back from a trip to the USA.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-1-2-1-4- ... 7:SS266866
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
LithopsRule
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by LithopsRule »

I just beat ChrisR to that Amazon supplier of paper "coin envelopes", and now have my 1000 acid free ones on order (3p each). If you want a few, there MIGHT just be the odd spare... :wink:

You can get ones that are not "acid free" for 1p each.

The key phrase (thanks to Forum!) to look for was "coin envelopes", since numismatists (coin collectors) like to store their treasures in them.

The glassine ones look good for Mesemb seed in due course.

Thanks to all for the help!
Euan Arnott (Cheshire, UK)

Novice grower renewing his teenage enthusiasm. Rapidly burgeoning Lithops, Lophophora, and Ferocactus populations, plus a few old stalwarts which have acompanied me through the years!
sue46
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by sue46 »

I still have seed from BCSS from about 2002 in clear little envelopes. But I also have the empty packets from late 1990s that were small brown envelopes and I recorded one of these as empty! Maybe that's why the seed was just too small to see! How is the best way to get Lithops seed out of the envelope (plus other small seed)?
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Plastic ziplocks aren't so bad for storing your own seed when you have lots, and mesemb seed is probably still in the capsules. Not so great for 10 specks of dust! Likewise the paper envelopes are great for storing 1,000 small ball bearings, but useless for a handful of Lithops.

I like the little hand-folded paper envelopes. I seem to remember one of those Czech seed suppliers sent those last year. Perfect for single use, you can completely unfold them and get even the tiniest seed. Takes some practice to learn how to fold them though! Simple folded tissue or paper is OK, but not quite so secure.
Cheshire, UK
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

sue46 wrote:How is the best way to get Lithops seed out of the envelope (plus other small seed)?
What I usually do is to cut off the top part (the one with the flap). Then I make a fold on one side of the envelop running from the top to halfway down. This creates some sort of a gutter for the seeds when you 'pour' the seeds into the soil. You just need to tap on the envelop very gently and all the seeds will fall out of the envelop from the fold.
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

uhig germany sells seed bags
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

I got some small translucent packets in a local shop that sells stamps. At the same time I got some nice South African stamps with paintings of various succulents on them

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Darren S
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Darren S »

My first visit to the new forum after being out of action for a few months. It looks really good.

Anyway - I think the Alpine Garden Society sells the little glassine seed envelopes which they use for their seed exchange. This raises them some income (could the BCSS do likewise?) and helps encourage donors to their seed exchange to use appropriate envelopes. I'm sure they sell to non AGS members.
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

uhlig germany i buy from him
Bob
Pete A
Branch: READING & BASINGSTOKE
Role within the BCSS: Committee member

Post by Pete A »

Darren S wrote: Anyway - I think the Alpine Garden Society sells the little glassine seed envelopes which they use for their seed exchange. This raises them some income (could the BCSS do likewise?) and helps encourage donors to their seed exchange to use appropriate envelopes. I'm sure they sell to non AGS members.
When I first read this thread I considered the same, however there are a few considerations to take into account. I believe the BCSS once bought packets from the Alpine society but their price skyrocketed a few years ago. Our treasurer found a good source of cheap self-sealing envelopes which is what we currently use. DK put in a new order a few weeks ago but unfortunately it's a "last-time buy" because the manufacturer is stopping making them (the price also went up by 50%). We've bought enough to last four years so I'm not sure what we'll do in five years time. We decided not to buy more than four years stock because the glue goes off with time.

I would not want to offer this stock to the general membership as a service (like we do with plant labels) because we only have enough for the four year's and we have no idea what we'll do once they run out. We can buy bigger envelopes at a similar price or non-sticky envelopes at a slightly higher price, or sticky envelopes at a much much higher price. In five year's time we may have to charge more to cover the costs of more expensive envelopes, or use bigger envelopes (that substantially increases the cost of postage). What I don't want is to have a mixture of different envelopes in year four.

Anybody who donates seed to the society is welcome to a wad of envelopes (just send me a message).
Zone 8 Representative (Birmingham, High Wycombe, Kingston-on-Thames, Oxford, Reading & Basingstoke, Woking).