Seed envelope sources?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
LithopsRule
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Seed envelope sources?

Post by LithopsRule »

Dear Folks,

Apologies for simple-minded question, but where can I get tiny little paper evelopes for storing ~1mm or larger seeds in?

A quick Google did not give me the kind of thing I wanted (around 1 square inch size), so I thought I should ask the people :notwo: who are bound to know at once!

And what about storing very small seeds like Lithops verruculosa or dust-like Dinternathus?
I have received such small seeds in translucent envelopes which look like grease-proof paper, or in tiny ziplock bags, but where to buy?

Thanks, Euan
Euan Arnott (Cheshire, UK)

Novice grower renewing his teenage enthusiasm. Rapidly burgeoning Lithops, Lophophora, and Ferocactus populations, plus a few old stalwarts which have acompanied me through the years!
nikkijcar
BCSS Member
Branch: WALTHAM FOREST

Re: Seed envelope sources?

Post by nikkijcar »

DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

You can often get the small ziplock bags at a good stationers, also the small about 2" square paper ones that I believe are used in wage packets to hold coins.

http://www.transpack.co.uk/list-products.asp?subcat=4

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Lindsey »

For the tiny seeds of mesembs (1 millimetre is a big one!), it's a good idea to double-package the seeds. You can fold a small square of tissue paper around the seeds, then place this in a paper envelope. That's how the MSG supply their seeds to members.
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
Torbjorn
BCSS Member

Post by Torbjorn »

My experience is that for small seed the ziplock plastik bags are unsuitable. because they are electrostatic, and the seed sticks to the plastic, or jumps out of the bag.
I much prefer the "pergament" material, sorry I do not know the English translation. (google gives parchment)
I have bought them from German companies, like http://www.kakteen-schwarz.de/
as Pergamyn-Flachbeutel Samentüten 45x60 mm, 500 Stück - Preis: 8,95 €
Torbjörn
Stockholm, Sweden
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Not only for small seeds... I got some astrophytum seeds in ziplock.. some of them stopped at 'ziplock line' and didn't want to go out. And some of them seemed like glued deep inside the bag. I had to use tweezers to get them out. I guess only way to get dust size seeds from ziplock is to wash them out :)

Ziplock is handy, but paper bag makes life easier.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Pete A
Branch: READING & BASINGSTOKE
Role within the BCSS: Committee member

Post by Pete A »

Paper envelopes will also absorb any moisture on the seeds - handy for freshly harvested seed.
Zone 8 Representative (Birmingham, High Wycombe, Kingston-on-Thames, Oxford, Reading & Basingstoke, Woking).
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

I'd avoid brown paper packets, the BCSS used them years ago and opening packets of mesemb seeds was like opening an empty packet. With clear packets you can tap the seed down to the bottom of the packet before opening. The clear paper ones that Doug Rowland used for many years were perfect. It's only now that Doug Rowland has stopped selling seed that people are realising just how good a service he provided, a vast selection, mostly for 20 to 30p a packet.
Stuart
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Small glassine envelopes in bulk on you-know-where:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lindner-700-Glass ... 1e5e0f7f68
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)