Epithelantha germination advice?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
LithopsRule
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Epithelantha germination advice?

Post by LithopsRule »

Dear Folks,

Poised as I am to sow some of IanN's Epithelantha rufispina seed from the Forum Seed Pool under my lights, I thought it wise to ask for advice in public so that we can all learn together! :idea:

Searching the Forum turned up the previous mention of a high-day-low-night temperature regime:
http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... ermination

Is Epithelantha especially hard to germinate?
What is the latest advice?

Thanks to all in advance, Euan
Euan Arnott (Cheshire, UK)

Novice grower renewing his teenage enthusiasm. Rapidly burgeoning Lithops, Lophophora, and Ferocactus populations, plus a few old stalwarts which have acompanied me through the years!
jfabiao
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Epithelantha germination advice?

Post by jfabiao »

Epithelantha micromeris, for me, germinates spontaneously around adult plants. I don't care about the fruits and so the seeds that fall on the substrate take care of themselves. I don't think my growing conditions are comparable to yours, though, in Lisbon we have warm winters (by your standard) and scorching summers.

That said, I suppose standard treatment is applicable. If it's good enough for other cacti it should probably be good enough for Epithelantha.
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

I've never had a problem, Euan - just treat them as any other cactus seed! They usually germinate very easily.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

A lot of seed seem to germinate better in the pot around the seed parent than if you set them. Whether this is because when the seed falls off it is the correct time for setting, or whether seed you buy has been stored for a time and lost some viability I do not know.

I have germinated Epithelantha OK in the greenhouse during the growing season without any additional heat, just like raising normal seeds in a greenhouse.

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

I've never found them hard to germinate, but I have got odd growth characteristics which I'm not sure are typical of the species when I've grown them under lights- they're about 4 - 5cm tall, but only 0.5cm wide, this seems far too columnar for this species, I'm not sure if it's just how they react to being grown under lights, or if they fatten up later in life a bit. They look right- the spines are healthy and densly packed as they should be. Other species grow fine under lights, I'm not sure if they maybe have stronger lighting requirements than most species?
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Easy enough to germinate in standard warm humid conditions. They do grow on best if they get strong light after the first few months. I put them in direct sun whenever spring is suitably advanced, then they turn from skinny green things into densely spined little balls. The process is just starting here:
bokei1.jpg
P.S. 4-5cm tall is excessive! Maybe 2cm is OK for little seedlings, then they will just get fatter and fatter. I have 10-year-old plants that aren't 5cm tall.
Cheshire, UK
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

I hope my post won't complicate this but...

1. I got one Epithelantha from a nursery, probably 2 years old, since it was still in small 'seedling' pot. It is 2 cms in (top) diameter and about 5 cms tall. I thought it was some variation because everything else seemed OK: skin wasn't pale but nicely dark green, and spines were strong and thick (dense).

2. I also have several seedling species that grow tall under artificial light. And they also look all right, right green color (not pale), strong spines etc.. except they seem taller than they should be and less fat than they should be.

3. I always consider plants with dense white spines as 'sun loving kind' either Cactus Art website recommends light shade to full sun for epithelanthas.

Conclusion, if any? :) Ummmm.... as long as they look healthy, even too tall, I'm happy. Not much I can do anyway.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

Here's a photo of one of my Epithelantha pots. Note the grit on top, I suspect it's the main reason for the "success" of this "natural regeneration".

Come to think of it, all of the rogue seedlings that have appeared in my pots did so on pots with this kind of top-dressing. I have had good results with this technique with mesemb seed and I will definitely extend it to my cacti sowings as well.
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener