Aloes: The Definitive Guide

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Devrim
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Aloes: The Definitive Guide

Post by Devrim »

Just received my journal :) , and seen the leaflet about the new Aloe book.
I will surely buy the book, but can't pay for it yet (membership renewals, seed payments...:) ). I'd like to know until when this special offer is valid? Is it a pre-publication offer or will it still be on after the publication? and, can I pay online instead of posting my credit card details?
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Re: Aloes: The Definitive Guide

Post by topsy »

Hi Devrim,

If you order the book now and pay by credit card the payment will not be taken from your card until the Aloe book is published and ready for dispatch. Don't forget that this is not a publication the BCSS is producing and selling, but is a joint effort between Kew Publishing and the BCSS and the payment will be taken by Kew Publishing.

http://www.kewbooks.com is the website for Kew Publishing, but they do not have an order form on-line and if they had they would not be able to offer you the BCSS member discount.

I believe that the offer is valid until the March journal of the BCSS is published.

As you are wary of sending your card details through the post you could complete the Aloe order form and Fax it to Kew Publishing:

Fax ++44 1768 800707

Regards, Suzanne Mace
Board of Trustees, B.C.S.S.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Congratulations Devrim,

You have got your journal in Turkey before me - still waiting in Glasgow, mainland UK - I think I can forget about the choice seed on the seedlist again this year :wink:
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Devrim
Registered Guest

Post by Devrim »

Thanks Suzanne.
It's nice to hear that there's some more time to pay, I didn't want to miss the offer.
Devrim
Registered Guest

Post by Devrim »

BrianMc wrote:Congratulations Devrim,

You have got your journal in Turkey before me - still waiting in Glasgow, mainland UK - I think I can forget about the choice seed on the seedlist again this year :wink:
Its quite probable that many more members around the world have already received their journal, probably as far as Australia :lol:
Colin Walker

Re: Aloes - The Definitive Guide

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Guys,

I hope you're all planning to buy this definitive guide to aloes?

Work on producing the book is progressing well. Yesterday, a Bank Holiday here in the UK, I spent all afternoon checking 91 pages of proofs, so I've given up some of my Christmas break to work on this book - how's that for dedication? The totals so far are: 6 of the 10 groups into which we've divided the genus are now paginated with 315 species entries checked, which is roughly 60% of the total in 367 pages, all proof read by the four authors. The introductory matter, which may be 150 pages, is yet to be paginated.

I'd guestimate that there are at least 1500 photos in the book, and we're still filling in odd gaps where species are currently unillustrated. There'll inevitably be a very small no. of spp. for which we have no photos, colour paintings or line drawings at all. Here's just one example. Aloe kefaensis was described as recently as 1997 and yet, apparently, there's not a single image of this. If you read the first description you'll see that the authors state that this is one of the commonest species in cultivation in Addis Ababa and yet no one has bothered to take a photo of it. How frustrating is that?! So, anyone listening in Ethiopia: please photograph this sp. asap!
Last edited by Colin Walker on Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Of course, Colin! We are looking forward to it (and saving up for it!) already. Best wishes for 2011. Tony.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Tony R wrote:Of course, Colin! We are looking forward to it (and saving up for it!) already. Best wishes for 2011. Tony.
Hi Tony,

I'm delighted to hear that. @ £70 for 750+ pages it will be worth every penny. Susan, John, Len and I have sweated blood over this, so everyone's support is greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
David_K
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by David_K »

topsy wrote:Hi Devrim,

If you order the book now and pay by credit card the payment will not be taken from your card until the Aloe book is published and ready for dispatch. Don't forget that this is not a publication the BCSS is producing and selling, but is a joint effort between Kew Publishing and the BCSS and the payment will be taken by Kew Publishing.

Regards, Suzanne Mace
Board of Trustees, B.C.S.S.
Also if you post your order form to Kew Publishing with a cheque they have assured us that the cheque will not be banked until the book is published which is supposed to be in April. So it will not clash with your Xmas spending.
David Kirkbright
Society Treasurer & Trustee,
Northants and MK Branch
Long time grower (not always well) of almost anything.
Visitors welcome but check first.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Well I have been collecting donations instead of gifts this year for my copy Colin, if I ever get my Journal and the order form :cry:

For those who haven't had their Journal this is the book in question:
http://www.kewbooks.com/asps/Forthcomin ... asp?id=890

Bill