Drawings found !

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Lithos
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Drawings found !

Post by Lithos »

After seeing the thread about cacti and succulent illustrations a couple of weeks ago - I searched for a few of mine - after looking in box 42 I eventually found them. I'll try submit one and see if it comes out o.k. - It was Trichocaulon cactiforme, grown by Alan Hart - is it now a 'Larry' or even a 'Lavvy' ?
Lavrania sp. (5).jpg
Last edited by Lithos on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lithos
BCSS Member

Re: Drawings found !

Post by Lithos »

Brachystelma Tavalla - This plant was grown from some tiny tubers which came from Mangula in Zimbabwe, the hairs on the flowers are dark purple and hang down like a bead curtain - the scale is in millimetres - they are pretty small
Brachystelma tavalla.jpg
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Those are fantastic! They beat a photo any day I think. What sort of pen did you use?

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Lithos
They are amazing & it's larryleachia, your picture looks better than my plant :lol: .
How many days does it take to do one, I always wished to be artistic but...
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Lithos
BCSS Member

Post by Lithos »

Thanks, Phil - They are done with Rotring graphic pens, the kind you refill with drawing ink, using various nib sizes up to .25 mm, expensive things and a pain to keep clean !
Tina, how long is a piece of string ? doing thousands of dots can send you ...well...dotty, so if I do a couple of hours a day, perhaps a week or so. In the initial stages there is a lot of staring down the microscope at the tiny flowers I have preserved
Here is Brachystelma Dinteri - these flowers are no more than half a centimetre in diameter
Brachystelma dinteri.jpg
Lithos
BCSS Member

Post by Lithos »

Hoodia Pedicellatum
Lavrania sp..jpg
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Have you tried sending them up to Roy Mottram for our Journal covers? They are as good as May Blos's? scientific drawings that used to appear with original descriptions in the American Journal.

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Josse
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Josse »

Those all are just wonderful Lithos!

The drawings are truly perfect in detail. (tu)
When I see the last Huernia, I can even see the fine shadowing on the every tubercle and that makes an impression of a three dimensional surface! :shock:
Fabulous!

Thanks.
Josse
Lithos
BCSS Member

Post by Lithos »

I may do that Dave, but I guess It's up to Roy and the relevance of the Picture to the contents, having said that I could draw anything that was wanted. One of the drawings posted is from a tuber I got from Roy many years ago !
L.cactiforme
Lavrania cactiforme.jpg
Last edited by Lithos on Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lithos
BCSS Member

Post by Lithos »

L. cactiforme
Lavrania sp. (4).jpg