In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulents?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!

In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulents?

Aphids
2%
Fungus/Rot/Damping off
14%
Mealy bugs
26%
Mice
1%
Red spider mite
20%
Root mealy bugs
18%
Scale insects
4%
Sciarid fly
6%
Snails
5%
Western flower thrip
4%

Total votes: 942
Thunderhorse
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulen

Post by Thunderhorse »

edthegreen wrote:Vine weevils are my most hated pests with Sempervivums. I'm surprised they are not on the list. So far they don't seem attracted to Lithops. Drenching with Provado seems effective on most plants...and vine weevils do have wide-ranging tastes. The problem with succulents in winter is one doesn't want to be drenching pots. Those sneaky little grubs go about their evil destruction of root systems most earnestly at that time :mad:

gah! last autumn was the first time I'd ever seen these nasties and duely applied the correct nematode EVERYWHERE

so far no plants have keeled over and have overwintered fine

they should definitely be on the list in my mind after reading about what they can do
derrick.rowe
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by derrick.rowe »

Collectors??? :grin:
lzrddr
Registered Guest

Post by lzrddr »

Interesting... must be the country, or the type of collection... none of my four worst pests here in southern California are on your list:
1- rabbits
2- gophers
3- aloe mite
4- agave mite... then comes easy to kill/control stuff like mealy bugs, aphids etc. But these four pests have destroyed or damaged hundreds of my plants and they are near impossible to control or thwart. But I try for some stupid reason. I have hardly ever had a root mealy problem, but then 99% of my stuff is outdoors in the ground. Fungus is only a problem for growing things from seed which I hardly ever do. Rare anything gets fungus in my climate (about 2% relative humidity). You simply cannot overwater a plant here... underwatering is a cinch and an unfortunate daily battle... even the cacti get sunken and sad if not watered weekly. Another day of 100F and another day of winds over 40mph. Another day of seeing what the rabbits have eaten -here, rabbits are desperate creatures and have destroyed a number of cacti, dasylirion (Dasylirion wheeleri is particular favorite of theirs), Dyckias (another favorite), Agaves, Aloes, Deuterocohnias, Echeveria, cycads and other things I would think they would normally not want to eat. Interestingly they leave succulent 'tasty looking' things like Dudleya brittonii completely alone. And they do not do much damage to my Euphorbias (a nibble here and there). Something eats yucca leaves, too, but it's taller (at least 3' tall)... we have no deer here in the middle of the Antelope Valley, and no one has seen an antelope in decades... Jack Rabbits? Someone's wandering horse? I don't know yet.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I have seen that before on another principally USA site.
N.D.
Registered Guest

Post by N.D. »

I noticed 0.5mm black spiders running over my mesembs. They seem harmless, but ... any knows what they eat on plants and dry soil?
2014-11-23 00.16.44.JPG
2014-11-23 00.17.26.JPG
2014-11-23 00.17.26.JPG (156.96 KiB) Viewed 17762 times
IainS
Registered Guest

Post by IainS »

The dreaded vine weevil is no friend of Echeverias or Sempervivums. :sad:
"Avoidance doesn't work"
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

N.D. wrote:I noticed 0.5mm black spiders running over my mesembs. They seem harmless, but ... any knows what they eat on plants and dry soil?
It's a mite. Not sure which one, but if it moves fairly quickly then it probably isn't eating your plant, just looking for some other nibble, perhaps even a pest or its eggs. Pest mites sit there much of the time sucking on the plant, then ambling off to find another good spot.
Cheshire, UK
N.D.
Registered Guest

Post by N.D. »

iann wrote:It's a mite. Not sure which one, but if it moves fairly quickly then it probably isn't eating your plant, just looking for some other nibble, perhaps even a pest or its eggs. Pest mites sit there much of the time sucking on the plant, then ambling off to find another good spot.
Thank you Ian for reassurance. I suspected it was a carnivorous mite, but wasn't sure, because it runs VERY quickly for its size (about 5mm per second). I have another type of mite, also dark, also moving around very actively, especially after watering, but not as quickly as this one. I just could not figure out what they could be eating there, as it is very dry, there is no mold, and no decaying matter.
TheEconomist
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by TheEconomist »

Looks like mealy bugs have the lead
PIC_0934.jpg
PIC_0934.jpg (101.22 KiB) Viewed 16537 times
Last edited by Phil_SK on Mon May 25, 2015 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use 'place inline' when posting photos
David
Dude
Registered Guest

Post by Dude »

I am new to this hobby.

I have 4 plants at the moment with Mealy bugs, so I'm gonna say Mealy bugs!