In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulents?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!

In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulents?

Aphids
2%
Fungus/Rot/Damping off
14%
Mealy bugs
26%
Mice
1%
Red spider mite
20%
Root mealy bugs
18%
Scale insects
4%
Sciarid fly
6%
Snails
5%
Western flower thrip
4%

Total votes: 942
Mawa
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

alcohols for mites

Post by Mawa »

I often see advise to spray various alcohols (methanol, ethanol, isopropyl alcohol) onto plants as means to fight spider mite. My thinking was that alcohols probably dehydrate small critters. Today I have done a completely unscientific observational study to answer the following question: Does methanol kill spider mite?

Method: I placed mites onto black paper (so I can see them better) soaked with 99.9% methanol (aka methyl hydrate).
Results: Upon placing, the mites immediately stopped crawling. Once the paper completely dried off, all of them happily resumed their activity.
Discussion: I think highly volatile liquids like alcohols upon evaporation depress oxygen's partial pressure, thereby temporarily suffocating the critters. Once oxygen concentration is restored, the pest suffers no permanent damage. Conclusion: Alcohols are useless in fighting spider mite.
Ernie

Re: In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulen

Post by Ernie »

UK seller- Plumeria2U are selling a red spider mite killer that works very well. I am using it. I also bought a couple of their rare dwarf Plumerias this year and they have established well. Looking forward to the flowers.
Tony H
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH

Post by Tony H »

I grow many of my plants in a heated greenhouse, and I personaly find that red spider mite is by far my most annoying pest.
I find myself treating infestations on a regular basis. I have periods where everything appears to be fine, but never for very long.
After red spider mite, comes mealy bug, followed by scarid fly larvae.
Roger Mann
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by Roger Mann »

Hi Tony, For getting rid of mealy Bug I use Ant Powder and it works for me. Ant Powder containers say "Ant Powder" and other crawling insects. I also sprinkle it onto trays that contain plants. I use it on my Echeverias. Anyhow thats what I do..............Roger. :grin:
B.C.S.S Member 32963 Clacton on Sea Branch and Sedum Society .CSSA long time member also Alpine Garden Society. I collect Sedums and Opuntias large and small. I live in Essex and also go to Chelmsford branch meetings. :grin: :grin: Roger Mann.
Tony H
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH

Post by Tony H »

Hi Roger,
thank you for that tip. It is something that I have never thought of, and I will certainly give it a try.
Tony
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

Thanks from me too, Roger. I have started another obsession for Echeverias, and although my plants are pretty well mealybug free, Eches do seem rather prone to attracting them. Shall buy some tomorrow!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Roger Mann
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by Roger Mann »

Hi Diane,

Just to say that all my Echeverias go outside for the Summer months. I n fact they have all just returned to the green houses for winter. Despite the rain this summer they all stayed out and it did them no harm, in fact they put on a lot of growth...................Roger. :grin:
B.C.S.S Member 32963 Clacton on Sea Branch and Sedum Society .CSSA long time member also Alpine Garden Society. I collect Sedums and Opuntias large and small. I live in Essex and also go to Chelmsford branch meetings. :grin: :grin: Roger Mann.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Thanks for the useful tip, Roger, it sounds quite intriguing but I'm pretty fed up with mealy bugs, so happy to give it a try.
Like you I have had my Echeverias outside for summer (during the drier times) but I have had to put them back in the greenhouse, as it has absolutely poured over the last few days. They have grown very well this year and are still growing at quite a rate.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Martin
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Martin »

After repotting about 20 of my ELK plants today I have decided it root mealy bug

I have managed to keep this at bay in the main collection by good cleaning and keeping new plant apart for a period so not impressed with so many of the new one full of it :evil:
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
'Thelocactus' National Plant Collection
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Interesting that Echeverias are known for mealy bugs. Root mealy bugs, I'm guessing? Or is it on the leaves? I haven't noticed them but then I only have a few of these.
Cheshire, UK