Neem Oil

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Liz M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LUTON
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Neem Oil

Post by Liz M »

I take the view it is better to spoil the succulents and get rid of the mealy-bugs, than have them suffer the mealy bugs and let them run riot around the greenhouse. Usually the succulents grow out of the damage the next season, as most put on a lot of new growth.
The RSM is a different matter and more tricky than mealy-bugs, which generally do not spoil the look of plants unless they are allowed to grow unchecked. RSM permanently marks plants, which then have to grow a lot, over several seasons, to hide the marks and you have to eradicate it completely.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
JoZoo
BCSS Member
Branch: MAIDSTONE & MEDWAY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by JoZoo »

Problem with RSM is that it is a native pest so no sooner do you think it has gone but it comes back. In the greenhouse at work we have a predatory biological control which really seems to work, can't remember the name off the top of my head but when I'm back in work will have a look as I'm sure it will be available in the realms of the Internet. It does need to be applied regurly so can be a bit costly but I think it is probably the most effective for RSM so worth it.

As for Mealy Bugs I have tried all sorts, submerging the whole plant in provado or invigorator at times if the mealy are in the crevices I can't get to and nothing seems to work like a good regular dose of spraying oil until the whole cycle has been broken. I don't think what I use is neem oil as it is a commercial pesticide the only active ingredient I can find on the label is mineral oil, I do know when this batch is gone we can't get anymore as it has been removed from the market :( so maybe it is. Not sure how I will rid my cactus at work of mealy bugs then. But we will definitly be using neem oil at home this year as this is our first year with a home collection :)

As an aside you mentioned crushed garlic Liz, how did you get on with that was it effective to kill off mealy bug?
Maintain National collections of Copiapoa, Matucana and Turbinicarpus for Chester Zoo
Personal favorites Ferocactus, Astrophytums or anything with a purple or pink colour.
jfabiao
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by jfabiao »

The active ingredient in neem oil is azadirachtin and is sold in various brand names (at least here in Portugal).
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: LUTON
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

It was Phil Hocking who mentioned the crushed garlic, I only use it in cooking.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
JoZoo
BCSS Member

Post by JoZoo »

Liz M wrote:It was Phil Hocking who mentioned the crushed garlic, I only use it in cooking.
Hehe sorry Liz, so much information to take in and I do get confused easily.

Would still love to know any results about crushed garlic though :)
Maintain National collections of Copiapoa, Matucana and Turbinicarpus for Chester Zoo
Personal favorites Ferocactus, Astrophytums or anything with a purple or pink colour.
Wilk
Registered Guest

Post by Wilk »

I have found neem oil to be effective as a contact insecticide but I am less convinced as to its effectiveness as a systemic. That said it could just be that it killed all the live ones but not the eggs. The next time I use it it will be as a spray and I will avoid the bodies of the likes of Astrophytum which can be damaged by the sticky oil.
JoZoo
BCSS Member

Post by JoZoo »

Wilk wrote:I have found neem oil to be effective as a contact insecticide but I am less convinced as to its effectiveness as a systemic. That said it could just be that it killed all the live ones but not the eggs. The next time I use it it will be as a spray and I will avoid the bodies of the likes of Astrophytum which can be damaged by the sticky oil.
To my knowledge it is only used as a contact. The reason that spraying oil is more effective than any other on mealys is because it makes their mouth parts stick together apparently and as it has this physical action it's not something that they can become imune too. But it doesn't kill the eggs at all unless you blast the egg sacks and break them all apart. The other value that spraying oil apparently has is that it makes the "leaves" unpalatable and I have noticed on some of the tropical plants that I use it on it does seem to make the leaves a much thicker texture. Obviously the manufacture of the spraying oil I use never considered that it might be used on cactus and to be honest I do have my own concerns over the oil buildup on the flesh of the cactus and how this may effect the cactus' ability to function in the future.
fero
BCSS Member

Post by fero »

Hello, it seems many types of oil's can have beneficial insecticide affects. Bird sand is said to be beneficial for rooting cuttings, in part because of Anise Oil ,which is also an insecticide. It seems some tests as to how afective they are and there afect on the stoma of cacti is much neaded, if the oils are blocking mealybug mouths they may be bloking CAM cycle of cacti. an oil that was somhow a foliage feed would be grate. Or one that is easly washed away by subsequent spraying.
Apologies if I repeated things already said. it is only through a coming together that we can eradicate these troublesome pests.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY

Post by Patrick »

Don't spray it on the plants water them with it. Have done that for years and have not seen mealy or RSM. Personally I love the smell and use it as shampoo some times.
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Rene G

Post by Rene G »

Patrick wrote:Don't spray it on the plants water them with it. Have done that for years and have not seen mealy or RSM. Personally I love the smell and use it as shampoo some times.
Patrick,- are you suggesting Neem Oil is systemic and can be taken up by the plants? If that was the case it would be fantastic and I certainly would agree for it to be watered in! Can any one enlighten us on this?