Steven Hammer's Mesembs book series

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Steven Hammer's Mesembs book series

Post by Aiko »

Just found out about the total planning of the Steven Hammer book series about mesembs (see: http://www.littlesphaeroid.com/catalog/mesembs/volumes/).

And earlier read about the request for illustrations in the MSG bulletin (of Mesemb Study Group, not to be confused with the Monosodium Glutomates bulletins).

So it seems the first volume is in full production. I assume 'in production' (as the website mentions) means text is currently being written, and not that it means it is in print and about to be distributed... Is anyone in the know when the first volume might be available already? Should we wait half a year, one full year, or just a month maybe?

Looks promising already, that's for sure.
vaida
Registered Guest

Re: Steven Hammer's Mesembs book series

Post by vaida »

Haven't checked the link yet, but I like your sense of humour, Aiko (tu) :rolf:
Into mesembs. Mainly Lithops.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

Steven & Russell are hoping for pre-orders to know what the demand will be and that the project is feasible. The more people who pre-order or at least sign up to the newsletter will ensure the books actually get published. It will also help them to decide what the eventual price will be. Steven tells me they hope to see the first one for sale around this time next year.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

ChrisR wrote:Steven tells me they hope to see the first one for sale around this time next year.
Thanks.
Ai. That long... One year; I will be old by then!
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Are there any mentionable updates that anyone up here knows of, now that we are a few months further in time?
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

Did you register with them for updates? If you do you can get any new info from the website.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Lindsey »

I registered some time ago but I've not had any updates lately.

As there are many UK mesemb enthusiasts, maybe there could be some arrangements (a coordinator, rep, or link person) to enable us to make definite pre-orders? :idea: Could this be done through the BCSS or the MSG?
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Lindsey wrote:I registered some time ago but I've not had any updates lately.
I have been registered since the summer, and haven't seen an update since too. Could be there is not much to update just yet. Very curious about the long time planning of every part of this series (one part every year of every two years?), and to see when my favourite part will eventually be published.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I just got a message from CACTI_ETC where one contributor mentions:

MESEMBS: THE TITANOPSIS GROUP - S.Hammer. To be published by Little Sphaeroid Press. Expected publication date: Mid-Summer 2012. Price range: mid $40.00 range.
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Lindsey »

Aiko wrote:I just got a message from CACTI_ETC where one contributor mentions:

MESEMBS: THE TITANOPSIS GROUP - S.Hammer. To be published by Little Sphaeroid Press. Expected publication date: Mid-Summer 2012. Price range: mid $40.00 range.
Aiko, have you had an update from Russell Wagner of the Little Sphaeroid Press recently?