Steven Hammer's Mesembs book series

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
srboisvert
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Re: Steven Hammer's Mesembs book series

Post by srboisvert »

Maybe someone could suggest that Harold try kickstarter or one of its ilk in order to manage self publishing. That way the people who want the book could front him the cost of a self-published endevour.
Stephen Boisvert
Chicago, USA
My Plant Photos on Flickr
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

Anyone with some insight knowledge when the second volume of the mesembs book series might be finished / printed?

According to this information:
Eight planned volumes, penned by mesemb expert Steven Hammer, will appear on a 12 to 18–month schedule and be individually compact and affordable.
it should be about time already.
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Lindsey »

Aiko, you're a mind-reader :shift: I've been wondering the same thing.

My understanding was that Jainta's book was a separate project, not part of the SH Mesembs series as originally planned.
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

I've heard indirectly that the next book will be about the Cheiridopsis group of genera. Steve & Russell have been checking out iSpot observations: http://www.ispot.org.za/node/205819 . No idea of their timescale ...

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Apicra wrote:I've heard indirectly that the next book will be about the Cheiridopsis group of genera.
Also indirectly I have heard the book will be out in spring. Understood they are currently busy making photographs at the localities.

The source could not disclose the content of this second volume of the series. But I understand form you it should be the one on Leopoldtia?
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

The volume list on the little spheroid press site show this as the second volume http://www.littlesphaeroid.com/overview37.html but they don't seem to be keeping all the pages up to date
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote:Also indirectly I have heard the book will be out in spring. Understood they are currently busy making photographs at the localities.
Anyone else with some inside information regarding the second volume of this mesemb book series?
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

It's a good thing we succulent growers are very patiently types!
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote:Also indirectly I have heard the book will be out in spring. Understood they are currently busy making photographs at the localities.
From an non-official source I understood that there will be no more volumes of this mesemb book series at all anymore. Looking at the time line since the first volume, I suspect this might well be true. Strange there has been no communication from the Little Sphaeroid Press on this topic at all.

I recently sent a question to the Little Sphaeroid Press about coming volumes of the book series. Have not received an answer yet.
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi Aiko,

Strangely enough I have received a piece for the MSG Bulletin from Russell Wagner regarding Volume Two and asking for images of particular species. So it must be going ahead, albeit not at the original intended pace.

Regards, Suzanne Mace
Mesemb Study Group