Agave albopilosa

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Patrick
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET

Re: Agave albopilosa

Post by Patrick »

Any updates on Agave albopilosa? I am about to sow my seeds
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I missed this last year whilst I was in the US, superb bit of growing there Tina, whilst the habitat photos are easily found - on the cover of John's Agave book etc - this is the first time I've seen photos of seed raised plants with the 'fluff'. I had the feeling they'd have to be a fair bit larger before it showed and there's not been any habitat photos of seedlings that I've seen. I was given a cluster of small seedlings at ELK but they're only half the sixe of those in the photo but at least I know that it's worth looking out for the fluff this year. How are the plants in the photo looking this year?
Stuart
Alexander
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Alexander »

I have sown 12 seeds 5 days ago and today the first one germinated, so quite a bit quicker than expected, and strangely quicker than the Opuntia basilaris I've sown the same day and which still haven't germinated...

I have been keeping the seeds in a closed container at room temperature under artificial light. Now I hope that the rest of the seeds germinate as well.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Hi
I got better germination when I allowed the seed to have a cool night temperature( room temp), as advised by the seed seller .
I should take some photo's for an update but we have a lot of work to do still in the house & garden, I have a new camera ( I'm not that good with it yet)& the house & greenhouses aren't close so it's not as easy as it used to be.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

I had good germination just at room temperature on a windowsill (in January so not much of a daytime rise!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

At what age can one expect the hair tufts on the ends of the leaves and how do they develop morphologically?
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Terry,
It seems quite variable when they devlope the tufts, it was one of my smaller plants that got first fluff, the one on the right in this photo,
albopilosa5_17 two.jpg
the agaves have a sort of capsule on the tip and you eventually notice the underside starts to have the odd hair/fluff breaking from the capsule,
albopilosa5_17 F.jpg
then very slowly more fluff is visible, maybe the capsule slowly disintegrates allowing the hairs to break free.
albopilosa5_17 C1.jpg

The fluff will develope on the oldest limbs so starting from base and V E R Y slowly increasing.
From my batch of plants grown XX here is a group photo, even the shape is different for all of them , a lot of natural variation,
albopilosa5_17 group.jpg
one looks like the wrong seed in the packet or a hybrid ! ( bottom right), i can't remember what it reminds me of at the moment but when I checked it did grow in the same habitat.
I also had trouble with western flower thrip liking to overwinter in the crowns and one had a caterpillar cause crown damage.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

When did you sow yours Tina? I sowed mine in 2014 and they are still tiny, only about six leaves each
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi
Jan 2011, my seed was form Koehres.
Tina

Bucks, UK
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

What an interesting batch of plants, Tina, and what a great pictorial explanation of the hairs developing!

The odd-man-out looks rather like Agave striata, which is found nearby although not on the actual rock faces - those it shares with A. victoriae-reginae and A. bracteosa.

I have one - smaller than those - that I planted out in my own 'rock face' this spring and as soon as I did that the capsules weathered away and the tips freyed! I am convinced it should be a tough hardy plant, especially given that I grow its neighbours outside.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.