Most expensive succulent seeds?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
cactusrogerUK
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Most expensive succulent seeds?

Post by cactusrogerUK »

[quote="Julie"]Saschi, an obesa/symm hybrid sounds great. Have you got a picture?

I found meloformis to be more fragile than obesa, so I would be extra sure that the hybrid doesn't go below 15 C even when dry.

Interesting! I have lots of meloformis, a few valida, and many crosses with varying patterns on the body. When I had heater failure (twice) in 2010/2011 the temperature dropped to -8C on the greenhouses, and most of them survived, and are still thriving today. Most of the other Euphorbias died. (But not the mammillaris type, or the caput-medusas or the coerulescens or the prolific bupleurifolia-suzannae hybrid). At least I now know that most of my remaining collection is hardy when dry!
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by AnTTun »

Out of subject but... Only one euphorbia that sleeps with cacti during winter here is e. meloformis. Others go to warmer area.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

AnTTun wrote:Out of subject but... Only one euphorbia that sleeps with cacti during winter here is e. meloformis. Others go to warmer area.
Beside Euphorbia meloformis I also put Euphorbia obesa and Euphorbia bupleurifolia x suzannae in the unheated room with the cacti, with temperatures hitting 0 C when it is really cold. They do well with that.
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

I've been thinking to try e. obesa too but had only 2 :) Tried e. bupleurifolia x suzannae, it did fine first winter, next one it was gone :( But I don't think it was cold, it acted like e. baioensis (that I managed to save 2 winters in warm place, but 3rd one was fatal), like it started to dry because it lost roots..
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Julie wrote:Saschi, an obesa/symm hybrid sounds great. Have you got a picture?

Sorry Julie, but I can't imagine this cross having any particular merit apart from scientific. These plants are too similar and hybridising would just muddy their distinction. Releasing such crosses amoungst the succulent growing community would only add to confusion - something which I believe already exists as far as the majority of multi-headed 'obesa' that come up for sale are concerned !
The thing that I would be interested in would be the number of flowering points that the offspring would have. This is the only accurate distinction between obesa and symmetrica. obesa has a single flowering point whereas symmetrica has a cluster of three!
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
McFarland
BCSS Member

Post by McFarland »

well my collection of Euphorbs is expanding at quite an alarming rate, my breeding program will begin soon! mwahahha :twisted:

On the topic of hybrid Euphorbia, has anyone ever heard of one William Denton? I acquired a few hybrbids that he crossed apparantly, they're labelled as E. 'dentonii'
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Hi Sachi,

I have a Euphorbia X 'William Denton' in my collection, acquired about 10 years ago from an "aging" Dartford branch member.

It is apparently a cross between obesa and mammillaris, and it fits this bill.

See, eg. http://www.euphorbia.de/eh_william_denton.htm which tells you who Denton was.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
McFarland
BCSS Member

Post by McFarland »

Fantastic Tony thanks so much for your help :) I have 2 or 3 plants of this cross and they are really gorgeous. Pics coming soon! :grin:
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Yeuck, I have one of them in my to-go pile, glad we don't all have the same tastes.
This one is supposed to be good for a cold greenhouse I only rescued it as my friend was going to see if it could survive snow :eek:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

For Julie...a pic of E. symmetrica x obesa. This was a rogue seedling that popped up in another pot - the parents could only be E. symmetrica (female) and obesa (male) as they were the only ones flowering at the time.

I would defy anyone to distinguish it from either parent they look so similar. As Brian says, it has no particular merit apart from one of curiosity!
Euphorbia symmetrica x e. obesa
Euphorbia symmetrica x e. obesa
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!