Most expensive succulent seeds?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
McFarland
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Most expensive succulent seeds?

Post by McFarland »

Well, you can find some great deals on ebay so I've managed to set it so when new listings with the word 'euphorbia' are in it I get a little email with a summary of the new items up, and I was most interested when I saw seeds of Euphorbia bupleurifolia x symmetrica, and then rapidly became less interested as the price climbed! Winning bid was £27 for 10 fresh seeds, eek.

Anyone else seen anything more pricey? :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330701490635? ... 499wt_1416
JoelR
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIDLINGTON

Re: Most expensive succulent seeds?

Post by JoelR »

Kohres seems to be the only seed supplier in Europe with Agave albipilosa seed. €15 for 5 seeds is quite pricey. can't complain though, I've now got 4 seedlings. Fingers crossed they all make it :smile:
Joel
West Yorks
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Sachi
How mad, I'm not even convinced the plants shown are hybrids but I'm a bit funny & only want pure Euphorbia's but I really like hybrid haworthia :wink: .
I have a definite pair of E.bupleurifolia so fingers crossed they flower together.

My most expensive seed were the A.albopilosa but had to have them :razz: .
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

I think whitesloanea seed is even more expensive. Last time I checked it was ... 5 E per 1 seed.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
McFarland
BCSS Member

Post by McFarland »

Ouchy! I think it was either on Mesa gardens or a south african seed supplier that were selling seeds of a fairly rare euphorbia for 5£ per seed, there's just no way I would pay that no matter how rare it was, seeing as the damn thing probably wouldn't germinate anyway! :lol:
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

White-Sloaneas are indeed the pricest of all succulents at 25 euros for 5 seeds.

McFarland, remind me to cross pollinate my four Euphorbia bupleurifolias this year. My symmetrica is too small to flower just yet, but I could try to cross it with a meloformis or obesa (if that will work) if you are after a cross between species.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

They look like interesting hybrids, but I still wouldn't pay that for seed. I would try the cross myself, but I just cant get my bupleurifolia to flower. I wonder if I am not watering enough?
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
McFarland
BCSS Member

Post by McFarland »

Well I'm a big fan of hybrid Euphorbia, they are very interesting, I've got what I believe to be E. meloformis x obesa and an E. meloformis x mammillaris which are both pretty neat plants. Crossing bupleurifolia with obesa I'm sure would work as obesa is closely related to symmetrica (some people say it is a subspecies of obesa), and meloformis seems to hybridise readily.

Aiko if you manage to make a cross I would be more than interested in the seed! Or any Euphorbia seed from anyone for that matter!! It's relatively hard to come by and damned expensive compared to other succulent plants. I think I will order a big batch of seed from Kohres soon and see how I get on, I saw some 30ish packets I'm interested in :grin:
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Saschi, an obesa/symm hybrid sounds great. Have you got a picture?

I found meloformis to be more fragile than obesa, so I would be extra sure that the hybrid doesn't go below 15 C even when dry.

I would like symmetrica seed but I resist... I am swimming in a sea of unsown seed all calling out to me to provide the conditions for life (nothing like a good healthy guilt trip) and should get out to that new greenhouse!
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
McFarland
BCSS Member

Post by McFarland »

There are plenty of obesa/symm 'hybrids' in the wild apparantly, there is a very narrow and wavy line between the two species/subspecies (however they are taxonomically defined) and lots of individuals that are between the two, so that's a grey area.

On a different note: Obesa x horrida, corrrrrr!!!

http://lookitcookit.tumblr.com/post/3324389576