Specks 2012

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Specks 2012

Post by Tina »

I have my Euro's and have started pre- ordering already BUT when doing this my money doesn't go very far :lol:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote:I haven't been to Specks Exotica in about four or five years. I am seriously planning on visiting Specks Exotica next week again, when on Saturday morning they will open up for the first time this year (to private sellers).
And I did last year, and was such good fun I am intending to do so again this year. Specks will be open again in two weeks time. So if the weather isn't bad, I will make the 50 kilometers bike ride into Germany again. And all plants I obtained a year ago are still doing fine, including the Sarcocaulons.

Anyone else from this forum visiting Specks at the first opportunity possible this year too?
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote:Anyone else from this forum visiting Specks at the first opportunity possible this year too?
I had my eye set on last Saturday. But the weather promised to be bad. With hinsight it all was well, but I skipped it to coming Saturday anyway. It promises to be good weather, this time.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

If you have time please take a few photo's so I can see what I'm missing :sad: ....
I keep mentioning it to 'him indoors', maybe one day :roll:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Tina wrote:If you have time please take a few photo's so I can see what I'm missing :sad: ....
I don't have a phone, so can't do photos. But here is a decent amount of previews for you: https://www.google.nl/search?q=specks+e ... 28&bih=926
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Long time ago we used photo machine called camera to take photos :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

And I thought these days we'd stopped buying obviously imported ex habitat plants.... :sad:
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

It was a fun ride, and the weather was helping a lot even though it was -3C when I left home at dawn.

As I am mostly interested in southern African succulents and less in the caudex plants from the rest of Africa, I came home with only three little plants:
- Drimia ciliata
- Euphorbia silenifolia
- Pyrenacantha malvifolia (this one looked intriguing, so I gave it a try)
ChrisR wrote:And I thought these days we'd stopped buying obviously imported ex habitat plants.... :sad:
There are lots of small plants just a few years old in their greenhouse, which very likely were cultivated from seeds or cuttings (if not here, then in some farm far away), such as the plants I bought. If you'd visit the greenhouse you would see what is available for yourself. Still you could be right about some plants. I don't think a huge 680 euro tagged Adenia would have be grown here. Many of the available plants could well have been grown here. So for obvious imports, I would not be so sure and I think you are too negative.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

There are 1000's of them in plain view in the link you provided. (td)
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

You might be right. Or not. From many of the bigger plants I saw they are not much different compared to plants you can buy at succulent fairs from a range of sellers such as ELK, but one of the very obvious (such as the big Adenia).

The main difference to other sellers in this perspective is the sheer quantity available. For instance, I have not seen many dozens of small seedling size (1 to 2 cm high) Othonna euphorbioides available else.

I bought three of the many little plants available that based on their size and prices could not have been stripped from habitat, but were cultivated. Locally, or in a more sunny farm in Africa for just a few years (the latter being the very most likely option).

If I have to compare the bigger plants, it is very clear many of the these are basically of the same age due to their very similar sizes (and branching, if applicable), which more likely shows they are of a farming origin. If habitat stripped, I would expect plants to be of different sizes. The sheer quantity of many smaller plants supports my thoughts.

Yes, some of the plants are much more suspicious. I don't know if they are mere show plants with a high price tag (maybe to see if fool bites the bait?), but are relics of 20+ years ago when importing plants was less of an legal issue? I don't know.

I don't base my judgement of Specks Exotica based on some highlight photos online (of course mainly the big and suspicious plants are the most photogenic), but had a look at the place and all the plants available personally and relate that in comparison to available plants alike elsewhere.

I assume your opinion is based on what your expectation on the origin of these plants is, and not so much what you know for sure. But if you have funded background information, please provide. I am interested to know.