Specks 2012

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ChrisR
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Specks 2012

Post by ChrisR »

:bangh:
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON

Post by Geoff Lovell »

Well said Tina.
If you steal a pound or a million you are still a thief, or if you prefer a self confessed habitat stripper.
Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
Lithos
BCSS Member

Post by Lithos »

Rolf, - only ever given away by me, never sold.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

only ever given away by me, never sold.
why did your partner send me a cheque then :grin: ??
I won't be adding to this as it's off topic & getting silly.

but I will certainly miss buying plants from Specks not least because they also give you advice on the best cultivation methods for that specie, I will have to stock up at ELK.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Victoria was collected from the wild and flowered for the first time in Paxton's greenhouse at Chatsworth.
ChrisR
BCSS Member

Post by ChrisR »

And it was still there last time I looked.......trust the Sage of Epsom to spoil my party by bringing a giant water lily to it!

:lol:
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Nick_G wrote:
Lithos wrote:Are Ernst and Marita moving to Hungary ?
That's very funny. I don't know what else you wrote as it was removed before I read this but that made me laugh out loud when I read it.
I don't quite see why Hungary is funny, though...

The reason for stopping seems they are retiring. I don't know if they keep on selling plants on stock after said date, or someone takes over, or whatever other direction things could take.
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

Hungary is probably an eBay reference, as there are certain plants on a certain Hungarian's eBay pages which are allegedly straight from habitat.

They might be retiring from selling direct to the public but rumours are that they will continue (and perhaps expand) their wholesale business, thus avoiding much of the public scrutiny. Who knows.

Al
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Now mentioned on their own home page:

"16 September 2016 we will close our nursery in Erkelenz-Hoven."
FlorentG
Registered Guest

Post by FlorentG »

Aiko wrote:Some will be pleased to hear this: I heard that Specks will be closing up their shop in September.
That will certainly not stop the demand for habitat-striped succulents, unfortunately... Someone will take over the job. :roll:

When I read this post, I can only feel sorry for the lack of "education"/awareness of some members. Please, don't call yourself a plant lover if you knowingly grow habitat-collected plants. Most field-collected plants of South-Africa (that's the area I know best) are from areas that are not directly threatened by development/grazing/mining/etc. A significant proportion are local endemics, which only occur in a restricted area. Poachers don't think about plant population long-term survival; they take all they can carry.

I did visit Specks as I started to grow succulents, and bought plants, but with a little bit of thinking and research I soon came to the conclusion that if everyone behaved like me the consequences on natural habitats would be significant. Collectors don't do *anything* for the conservation of species. If you want to conserve a species, you protect its habitat. Once out of its habitat it's not worth anything.

Florent

PS : Not all plants sold by Specks are from habitat. But a large proportion are. It's very easy to tell apart. On Liz's pictures, the Euphorbia thai hybrids, small Aloes and small Avonia papyracea are surely not from habitat. The other ones, yes. Only the south-african Pelargoniums are doubtful to me.