Specks 2012

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Lithos
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Re: Specks 2012

Post by Lithos »

Are Ernst and Marita moving to Hungary ?
Last edited by Bill on Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unsubstantiated comment removed. Please abide by forum rules.
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Geoff Lovell »

I seem to remember a certain individual recalling that he had removed plants from habitat some time ago and sold them for profit, perhaps somebody remembers or will check past posts.
People who live in Glass Houses seems to spring to mind.
I find this sort of comment offensive and I hope Ernst is reading this and sues for damages to their reputation.
Personal beliefs are different to facts!
These statements place the BCSS in a very difficult legal situation.
Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
Lithos
BCSS Member

Post by Lithos »

I have given lots of plants/cuttings grafts and seeds to many people, for many years. Only tried to sell a few legal plants at the last national show. I have never made any profit, just tried hard to share.
Funny how you only jump out of your bush to attack me, and never post anything positive. Have you not read the strapline ?
Lithos
BCSS Member

Post by Lithos »

Geoffs comment is wrong and unsubstantiated too. Yet not removed.
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member

Post by Geoff Lovell »

Hypocrisy is the contrivance of a false appearance of virtue or goodness, while concealing real character or inclinations, esp. with respect to religious and moral ...
Personal Attacks serve no useful purpose.
I do not 'leap out', I read the forum almost every day with recent postings, I see you are out of hibernation and spouting poisonous remarks which thankfully the Mods have deleted.
Wise up Lithos people are not interested in your self righteous pontifications.
The comment was made by you several years ago that you took plants from habitat to 'SAVE' them, It was not a fanciful idea from me but I will look for your statement to show the world what a hypocrite you are, perhaps that will keep you quiet, but I am not holding my breath.
Tip of the day...Know when to quit!
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member

Post by Geoff Lovell »

I rest my case...

by LithosSun Apr 22, 2012 7:19 pmForum: The Cactus & Succulent Plant ForumTopic: Mammillaria luethyiReplies: 16Views: 1614

Re: Mammillaria luethyi

It may be the right time to admit a crime. When this plant was imagined by everyone, some of us went to go get it. Having watched Ariocarpus bravoanus get stolen, we took a different view and 'smuggled' Mamm. leuthyi to Europe. 2 clones, from which pretty much all plants come from.
Sold, not given away!!!!!!!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I'm never sure know why anyone moans about certain things, there are no cactus or succulents endemic to Sheffield or Milton Keynes they all come from some other country.
People have been doing it for years with all plants you only need to visit kew and read some of the information regarding Victoria collectors and collections.

Phil you did the same showing a manky ex habitat geohintoni mexicana, also forgets that you sold an ariocarpus to me that never turned up, took a long time to get the refund- very selective amnesia.
Nothing wrong with selling plants I do & that helps pay towards my next plants.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Nick_G
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Nick_G »

Lithos wrote:Are Ernst and Marita moving to Hungary ?
That's very funny. I don't know what else you wrote as it was removed before I read this but that made me laugh out loud when I read it.

The Strombocactius seed you sent me free of charge a year or so ago has produced some nice little seedlings. I hope that I thanked you at the time but if I didn't please accept my apologies. The seedlings from the Echinocactus horizonthalonius seed all got eaten by a snail while I was on holiday last year. So it goes.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
ChrisR
BCSS Member

Post by ChrisR »

Tina wrote:..... there are no cactus or succulents endemic to Sheffield or Milton Keynes they all come from some other country.
What on earth has that got to do with it.......unbelievable! I would :lol: if it wasn't so sad......
Tina wrote:People have been doing it for years with all plants you only need to visit kew and read some of the information regarding Victoria collectors and collections.
This is true. Although no one ever collected Victoria as far as I know, but they may have been Victorian. And they collected for a scientific research and for botanical gardens - not to line someones pocket in a commercial "nursery".

But Geoff & Tina raise pertinent points. We all know that the majority of cacti and other succulents in our collections originate from wild collected plants. For example, how sparse would the Mesa Garden catalogue be if we went through that and deleted every line that listed seeds produced from originally collected habitat material? How much poorer would many collections be if they didn't contain at least a few of these plants? To me it's a question of degree. If Lithos removes only two cacti that are then used to supply the demand from collectors, thus preventing further removal of those same cacti, can his actions not then be justified? Is it the same as someone taking 100 or 1000 caudiciforme or tubereous plants (that will never be propagated) simply for commercial gain? I say not. Some would agree, others not - there is no grey area in a law that bans the removal of all wild material. Those who moan about the short-sighted approach by Mexico would probably agree.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Chris
Wot ever a typo, it's not just kew & other botanic gardens, the majority of garden plants are from other countries where seed & cuttings are collected and cultivated.

Phil is inconsistent, buys from specks, moans about them but has collected wild plants so people may find it irritating.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.