Specks 2012

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BrianMc
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Specks 2012

Post by BrianMc »

Some nice plants, but thankfully nothing that I cant live without :grin: - phew!
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Some of us are fortunate in that we can afford to eat and have some plants; one of my long time friends who died 4 years ago used to say to me, Ernie we are a long time dead and if you can afford whatever it is you want to do then do it while you can.(Tony died within weeks of his 65th Birthday and retiring from work :sad: ) Of course hes right but equally I often remind myself that I am in that fortunate position I can treat myself whereas many cannot. For a long time while bringing up a family on what was then a poorly paid coppers pay I could not afford to follow the hobby in any big way having to make do with seed grown/cuttings and freebies. Now in my mid 60's with time running out I can now afford to help relieve Specks of his goodies and thus enjoy what I could never afford years ago.

Today I took delivery of a big and very nice specimen size plant of Adenium A obtained from a UK dealer who trades on ebay and has a web site. Fanatstic plants raised I think in Thailand. Not cheap but top quality. Hes going to have some big Adenium Socotranums available in the next few weeks and I am afraid my inheritance is just going to have to be hit again.I guess our bedroom is going to have more residents come next winter. :lol:
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Yes, as John E knows I was on the coach too and, amazingly, unlike anyone else, I didn't spend a single euro at Specks :eek: , saving all my spare euros for the Gasterias at Ingo's and at Cok's :roll:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
McFarland
BCSS Member

Post by McFarland »

Tony, you are telling me you went to Specks and left without purchasing anything? Then you are a stronger man than I suspect most of us :lol:

Bravo Ernie, as they say, Carpe Diem!
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Lithos »

I sort of know how you feel Ernie. It was my father who got me going in the 'CactusWorld' - whilst spending 25 years of his suddenly shortened life as a London Met. policeman. If he could see the plants we have available to us now, he would be amazed - and really quite happy that I'm trying to grow them. Sachi, wait until you see the prices Ernsts auction plants go for!
Morgans Beauty
Registered Guest

Post by Morgans Beauty »

hi everyone,

here are my newest favourites :cool:

Tylecodon reticulatus

Tylecodon pearsonii

Tylecodon reticulatus ssp. phyllopodium

regards michael
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Very Nice plants.
Heres my latest Specks plants- all potted up.

The Othonna Retrorsa is in a 10inch pan. The Fouquiereia Fasiculata (CITES appendix 1 plant) is 24inches tall excluding the pot.
McFarland
BCSS Member

Post by McFarland »

Just finished potting up my Specks plants which arrived today, it was a real marathon! pics coming soon :lol:
Morgans Beauty
Registered Guest

Post by Morgans Beauty »

nice plants ernie! (tu)

@sachi: we are waiting... :roll: :mrgreen:
regards michael
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Ernie

You certainly got some nice plants- is that the lot ?.
I like the fouquieria ( sp) it's a good size & nice pots.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.