New arrival-Euphorbia sp.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
McFarland
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: New arrival-Euphorbia sp.

Post by McFarland »

The only thing that makes me think it might not be a Monadenium is the fact that surely Specks, or whoever he bought the original plant(s) from must have seen it in flower? I think the website when it was first updated listed stock as being more than 8 plants, which is a fair amount for cuttings that size.

Mind you, recently it seems all the sciencey types want to fold Monadenium into Euphorbia, so maybe Mr Specks is correct after all :grin:
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Lithos »

:shock:
McFarland
BCSS Member

Post by McFarland »

Tina and Phil how are your mystery plants doing? One of mine is branching below soil level, but both have some leaves yellowing and dropping off. I'm wondering if this is the relatively low temperatures in my GH or just a time of year thing. Any activity on your plants?

Sachi
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Lithos »

It's a form or just Euphorobia venenfica I think - dry heat - always the hardest thing to provide
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Sachi
Well I disagree with Phil, I lean more to a form of E. Poisonii.
This first picture is the new sp.
unknown 10_12.jpg
unknown 10_12.jpg (141.18 KiB) Viewed 2822 times
Then we have Euphorbia unispina the young leaves have 4 or 5 little tabs which change shape as the leaf mature, it's normally a bit more veiny than Euphorbia poisonii but you can see has a more frilly edge to the leaf
unispina leaf 10_12.jpg
unispina leaf 10_12.jpg (154.33 KiB) Viewed 2822 times
Now we have a plant of Euphorbia Venenifica much more frilly/veiny leaf and very unlike the new spec.These are not very easy plants to keep going & stop growing for no apparent reason.
venenifica leaves A.jpg
venenifica leaves A.jpg (156.82 KiB) Viewed 2822 times
Finally all three together for comparison, really the only way to decide will be when they flower, this form does seem more prone to offsetting so will make an interesting clump.
all three.jpg
all three.jpg (176.48 KiB) Viewed 2822 times
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
McFarland
BCSS Member

Post by McFarland »

Interesting tina thanks for the good post and info.

Just from a laymans perspective I would say it is a new species then, as it is different enough from the others are they are from each other. The flower will tell I guess :grin:
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Sachi
I did get a stoloniferous form of Ankarensis so maybe this will be another slightly different form, by next year we should be able to see any growth characteristics- I quite fancy a stoloniferous e.poisonii- Imagine a clump of these.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
McFarland
BCSS Member

Post by McFarland »

That would be pretty gorgeous I gotta say. I too got hold of the stoloniferous ankarensis, which hasn't really done alot since I boguht it, though it is alive. Will be interesting to compare plants next spring/summer!
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Here's my plant of Euphorbia maromokotrae ( stoloniferous ankarensis), it came from petr pavelka Elk 2011 & is supposed to be type material. It has branched but no stolons- oddly it has furry leaves which my E.ankarensis don't have & I have had it since 2011.
Ankarensis are slow I wonder if there is anyway to speed them up ?.
maromokotrae stoloniferous ankarensis fl6_12.jpg
Tina

Bucks, UK
McFarland
BCSS Member

Post by McFarland »

I've got the same plant, but ordered from Petr this year so I guess you've got a years headstart on me. Since ordering in june-july my plant has done nothing, it is incredibly slow :shock: will take years and years to make a nice 'bushy' specimen I guess.

Only thing I've had any success with my ankarensis is shade and keeping it damp, I wonder how this would respond to the same treatment