New free online journal.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: New free online journal.

Post by Aiko »

Wow. Over 250 pages...
jhb
BCSS Member

Post by jhb »

Hi. I've downloaded this journal but seem to have a problem with the language buttons. I tried before & had the same problem. If anyone has any ideas id be grateful as I really want to read them. I use an IPad 4 if that's any help. J
Jayne H.B.
Growing Mamms, Turbs, Ario`s & a bit of most genera in darkest North Devon. Love Lithops too.Now getting hooked on Haworthia`s & Cono`s.
eduart
Registered Guest

Post by eduart »

Hi,

Special issue 6.1 is only a Romanian edition, so you can't see any English text. In few months there will be an English edition as well.

BTW - please read the tutorial(s) on the web page in order to enjoy the multilingual features.

Cheers,
Eduart

P.S. Aiko, yes Dag Panco's book is a REAL book, possibly quite unconventional for many readers... especially the ones living in different climates. However, it contains much, much more useful information for any cactus enthusiast! There will be an English edition soon!
CSSNZ Auckland Branch

https://carpophyma.page.tl/
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

eduart wrote:BTW - please read the tutorial(s) on the web page in order to enjoy the multilingual features.
The problem with the tutorials is that they suffer from the same problem that they try to solve: they are unreadable. If I click the Tutorial English link in the June 2015 section, the following loads (in the same browser tab).
tut.JPG
The problem is made worse because your links say download pdf when, in fact, clicking them doesn't download the pdf but, instead, opens the pdf in the browser, resulting in the three languages appearing at the same time (for me at least, using Firefox 40.0.3). I've advised people to "download the pdf" in the past but it's very difficult to explain the difference between downloading the pdf and clicking a link saying download the pdf.
I'm very much a beginner at html but I believe that something like

Code: Select all

<a href="http://xerophilia.ro/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Xerophilia_Sp_No_06.1_ro_09-2015.pdf" download="">download pdf</a>
would force anyone clicking your link to download the pdf file which, when they opened it, most computers would use a proper pdf reader rather than a web browser. Perhaps some others who are better at html could comment.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I think your browser might have preference settings you can turn on to say to download a PDF to your hard drive instead of opening it. Or you might be able to save a PDF to your hard drive from a menu of the window of the browser when the PDF is open.
eduart
Registered Guest

Post by eduart »

Hi Phil,

Thank you for pointing this out... I have just downloaded now the tutorials with no problem in I.E., Chrome and Firefox... and I simply see ONE language, depending on the selected link.

Even if I download an issue I can see the English version on the screen, without being able to switch text layers. However, after saving the file and reopen, I can switch to all versions.

I am not a computer geek (not even close!), so, if you don't mind, I will forward your comment to our webmaster.

Thanks,
Eduart
CSSNZ Auckland Branch

https://carpophyma.page.tl/
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Phil_SK wrote:The problem is made worse because your links say download pdf when, in fact, clicking them doesn't download the pdf but, instead, opens the pdf in the browser, resulting in the three languages appearing at the same time (for me at least, using Firefox 40.0.3). I've advised people to "download the pdf" in the past but it's very difficult to explain the difference between downloading the pdf and clicking a link saying download the pdf.
In Firefox 40.0.3 just right click the link 'download the pdf' then you get the dialog to save the file to your PC.
Alternatively, left click will open the pdf in the browser but as Aiko says you can then press the Download button (=Save) on the top rhs to the right of the Print button.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

Sure, I always download (rather than open) them using one of these methods and have no problems. I just felt that the repeated problems that people report each time a new edition of Xerophilia arrives needed addressing.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
jhb
BCSS Member

Post by jhb »

Morning. Ive downloaded this journal & really want to read it but for some reason the language buttons are not working for me. I use an iPad 4 so if anyone has any suggestions I'd be more than grateful. J
Jayne H.B.
Growing Mamms, Turbs, Ario`s & a bit of most genera in darkest North Devon. Love Lithops too.Now getting hooked on Haworthia`s & Cono`s.
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

jhb wrote:Ive downloaded this journal & really want to read it but for some reason the language buttons are not working for me.
eduart wrote:Special issue 6.1 is only a Romanian edition, so you can't see any English text. In few months there will be an English edition as well.