Its been a long time coming!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BrianMc
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Its been a long time coming!

Post by BrianMc »

This is one of my own hybrids sown in 2004. My records for the cross put it as Aloe 'Doran Black' (mother plant) crossed with Gasteria ellaphieae (pollen parent). The resulting plants have always looked very much more Aloe like than Gastrolea, so I have often wondered if my notes were correct or if there was a mix up with the seed packet. This is the first of the seedlings to flower and is now about half way through the flower spike. Interestingly various G.ellaphieae are flowering right now.
Judging by the anthers this plant is sterile (common with Aloe Gasteria crosses). Most interestingly the flowers are an unusual saturated orange colour, which is not so common in Malagasy miniatures - Doran Black, a plant drawing heavily on the influence of Aloe rauhii flowers strong red. The plant with flower measures just over 46cm tall.
Aloe hybrid BMCD1136
Aloe hybrid BMCD1136
122208_9577.jpg
122208_9549.jpg
122208_9573.jpg
122208_9567.jpg
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Re: Its been a long time coming!

Post by Tony R »

Very, very interesting, Brian. That's a lovely plant, well worth the wait.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Andreas
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Andreas »

Marvellous colour contrast - especially between the orange flower buds and the black background! :notwo:

Andreas
georged
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by georged »

Beautiful plant. Would do well in this month's photo competition "Shades of Green".
George
Uckfield, East Sussex. Small but varied collection of cacti, succulents and a few others.
macavity
BCSS Member
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES

Post by macavity »

The plant is beautiful on its own, but the flowers make it that bit more lovely. Very nice!
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Perhaps the theme for next month's competition will be 'Shades of Orange'

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.