Help

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Help

Post by Paul D »

Mike if your friend wants another I've about 20 of these as 3 year old plants, happy to give a few away.
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by IanW »

I was thinking it was more like natural corking/aging. The only thing that makes me think otherwise is the fact it's gone up in between the ribs. This seems to be where pests like to do their damage and one of the last places corking takes effect in my experience.

Out of interest, has your friend tried simply scraping it off? I had an Opuntia like this before but the brown stuff was actually more something on top the epidermis that could simply be scraped away if you were gentle.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

I would not consider this damage to be due to corking/age - it is still a comparatively young plant, and apart from the damage seems to be growing quite strongly. It definitely has all the hall marks of RSM, which doesn't always restrict itself to the tops of plants.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Could it be the false RSM, as I have similar damage on some loph koehresii & when I was chatting to another grower he reckoned these lophs are prone to damage from false RSM.
It was all over light damage & not as you expect, you normally only see the damage much later after the bugs have moved on.
I only see RSM on succulents as you can sometimes notice the webbing .
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
McFarland
BCSS Member

Post by McFarland »

http://cactiguide.com/cactipests/#spidermite

on the bottom pic of RSM'd plant corking seems to be coming from the base, so I wouldn't rule it out
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

It is quite possible that the plant suffered from RSM early on (basal damage), grew out a bit, and was re-infested (top damage) - I've had this with plants in the past.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Thanks for your response guys. Much appreciated.
FairyCastles
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by FairyCastles »

Could this be the same problem as detailed on page number 181 of this quarter's Journal?
Growing Gymnocalycium and Frailea family
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I shall have a look FC. Thanks.