More Aloes

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: More Aloes

Post by Herts Mike »

Cartainly not me Clarke but then I wouldn't think mine is big enough. It's about the same size as yours.

I am seriously thinking of reducing the cacti in favour of Aloes and some of the rather more nondescript Mams may be first to go.

I was even daft enough to get A.eminens which is an enormous tree Aloe just because it isn't seen very often.
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

My Peglerae. Been kept a little too dark I think?
DSCN5582.JPG
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Looks that way Ernie.
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Christian »

A. peglerae looks like a really nice plant. I have got some seed to sow later in Autumn and really hope it works out with these.

Thought I'd post a couple more Aloe photographs. My A. albiflora started flowering back at the end of August. To me these are the most beautiful flowers of all Aloes, and they are so incredibly freely produced as well. If I had to choose only one succulent to keep, this would be the one.
Aloe albiflora
Aloe albiflora
Second is a cutting of Aloe hazeliana var. howmannii (so the label reads), obtained earlier this year. It seems to stretch somewhat, so I may need to find a better spot for this one. Does anyone else grow this one, and under what kind of conditions? I believe it prefers shade, but it reached me in a lovely orange-red kind of hue. It now receives perhaps two hours of direct sunlight.
Aloe hazeliana var. howmannii
Aloe hazeliana var. howmannii
Best regards,
Christian
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
McFarland
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by McFarland »

Christian I have the same plant. I find it very annoying, its really easy to give it too much sun and have it get crispy. I kept mine in part shade after it got burned and it did alot better. I personally think Aloes look better a bit greener than usually found in habitat but that's just my opinion
Christian
BCSS Member

Post by Christian »

Cheers Sachi. Sounds like I better kept the A. hazeliana where it is at the moment...

Christian
Christian
BCSS Member

Post by Christian »

Thought this might me of interest...

Not nearly as spectacular as Mike's brilliant specimen plants, but there you go. Seed came from last December's BCSS seedlist.
Aloe abyssinica sown January 2012
Aloe abyssinica sown January 2012
Thanks.

Christian
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Lindsey »

I'm no aloeologist myself, but I just noticed this - I'm sure Brad Ed will forgive me for posting:
http://www.bcss.org.uk/bradcontents/brad_30.php
... maybe a good sequel/update to a recent book on the genus??? :mrgreen:
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BrianMc »

Christian wrote:
Second is a cutting of Aloe hazeliana var. howmannii (so the label reads), obtained earlier this year. It seems to stretch somewhat, so I may need to find a better spot for this one. Does anyone else grow this one, and under what kind of conditions? I believe it prefers shade, but it reached me in a lovely orange-red kind of hue. It now receives perhaps two hours of direct sunlight.

I obtained a plant of A.howmannii in Spring this year. It is doing rather well at the moment. While I don't grow it on a top shelf in the greenhouse it gets no shade in a position at knee height. It is a nice bronzey/green colour. I believe these types of Aloes grow in grass lands on rocky outcrops and cliffs. The problem with giving them too much shade means they lose their distinctiveness.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
georged
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by georged »

Some young Aloe elegans.
Aloe elegans.jpg
George
Uckfield, East Sussex. Small but varied collection of cacti, succulents and a few others.