More Aloes

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: More Aloes

Post by Herts Mike »

georged wrote:Nice A. polyphylla, Mike, definately getting a twist on. How big is it across.

Only brought my smaller ones in so far. The larger ones can wait until frost is forcast.
About 16" now George. This is how it looked when I repotted it in spring -

PhilW
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by PhilW »

I have a polyphylla too, albeit smaller than yours mike, which a friend gave me that he grew i beleive from seed :)

I have been told in the growing season that they like their feet wet most of the time? But in winter do they still benefit from more water than most?
regards
Phil

PS - i just found today what i thought had been accidently thrown out.......SEEDS :mrgreen: ALOE SEEDS :mrgreen:

i have the following aloe seeds which i will have a crack at come spring:

polyphylla / zebrina / comosa / comptonii / dewetti / heretoensis / krapohliana / ortholopha / suprafoliata
georged
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by georged »

My understanding is that they need less water over winter but you should never let the roots dry out.
George
Uckfield, East Sussex. Small but varied collection of cacti, succulents and a few others.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

georged wrote:My understanding is that they need less water over winter but you should never let the roots dry out.
That's pretty much it for me. I grew half a dozen seedlings this year and all but 2 have been sent on to gardening friends.

Here's Aloe deltoideodonta-

PhilW
BCSS Member

Post by PhilW »

Herts Mike wrote:
georged wrote:My understanding is that they need less water over winter but you should never let the roots dry out.
That's pretty much it for me. I grew half a dozen seedlings this year and all but 2 have been sent on to gardening friends.

Here's Aloe deltoideodonta-

Another looker there mike :wink:

Do you predominently keep aloe's? oh yeah, your a bad man :lol: i sent a list to the place you mentioned asking about stock on some aloe's, problem is theres about 15 on the list, and thats before i ask about other stuff :eek: hope they reply soon :roll:
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Aloe Haemanthifolia. I rescued this plant earlier in the year. Its now looking better.
DSCN55651.JPG
PhilW
BCSS Member

Post by PhilW »

A Few of my aloe's:

Is my Arborescens showing a very slight variegation on the leaves, or is it just its normal appearance?
Attachments
Aloe Arborescens
Aloe Arborescens
DSC_0080 (600x400).jpg (224.64 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
Aloe Cosmos
Aloe Cosmos
DSC_0069 (640x427).jpg (216.12 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
Aloe Brevifolia Variegated
Aloe Brevifolia Variegated
DSC_0068 (600x400).jpg (194.09 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
Wiebe
BCSS Member

Post by Wiebe »

Aloe inexpectata, flowering today.

Wiebe

Clarke Brunt
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Clarke Brunt »

PhilW wrote:I have a polyphylla too, albeit smaller than yours mike, which a friend gave me that he grew i beleive from seed :)

I have been told in the growing season that they like their feet wet most of the time? But in winter do they still benefit from more water than most?
As people here perhaps know from previous discussion, my full-size Aloe polyphylla have been outside permanently for many years now (in pots). None have died from this, though one once lost its growing point (and eventually produced two offsets - I sold one of the offsets at the National Show, as there's no point me having more than one plant of the same clone).

So these large ones spend the winter very wet, since it rains on them, and there's not much evaporation, and the plants aren't growing.

The rest of them, apart from small seedlings, are still outside at the moment. I'll bring them in eventually - perhaps when frost threatens, as I've proved previously that even medium ones can die outside.

I suspect the winter-watering doesn't really matter very much. It doesn't harm them to water, but probably doesn't make much difference if you don't, as they're not growing. The entire plant is renewed so quickly when they are in growth - completely new leaves, completely new roots, that I don't think it matter much what state they are in when growth starts again in spring. Basically, once in the greenhouse, I'll largely ignore them - perhaps watering occasionally if it occurs to me.

Hope I get more than one flower spike in 2013 (only got one in 2012 - no seed despite attempted self-pollination). I'd say 3 of the plants might be large enough to flower, two more that I'd say are probably too small, and the remaining large one has split into two rosettes, neither large enough to flower, and next year I'll divide it (and sell one).
--
http://www.viridis.net/ Photos of cacti etc. in habitat
PhilW
BCSS Member

Post by PhilW »

Clarke Brunt wrote:
PhilW wrote:I have a polyphylla too, albeit smaller than yours mike, which a friend gave me that he grew i beleive from seed :)

As people here perhaps know from previous discussion, my full-size Aloe polyphylla have been outside permanently for many years now (in pots). None have died from this, though one once lost its growing point (and eventually produced two offsets - I sold one of the offsets at the National Show, as there's no point me having more than one plant of the same clone).

So these large ones spend the winter very wet, since it rains on them, and there's not much evaporation, and the plants aren't growing.

The rest of them, apart from small seedlings, are still outside at the moment. I'll bring them in eventually - perhaps when frost threatens, as I've proved previously that even medium ones can die outside.

I suspect the winter-watering doesn't really matter very much. It doesn't harm them to water, but probably doesn't make much difference if you don't, as they're not growing. The entire plant is renewed so quickly when they are in growth - completely new leaves, completely new roots, that I don't think it matter much what state they are in when growth starts again in spring. Basically, once in the greenhouse, I'll largely ignore them - perhaps watering occasionally if it occurs to me.

Hope I get more than one flower spike in 2013 (only got one in 2012 - no seed despite attempted self-pollination). I'd say 3 of the plants might be large enough to flower, two more that I'd say are probably too small, and the remaining large one has split into two rosettes, neither large enough to flower, and next year I'll divide it (and sell one).
Hi Clarke - thanks for that (tu) May i also ask bout polyphylla seeds? I have some i got from Silverhills (South Africa) last autumn, and i tried sowing 6 or sow by putting them in a jar of water for a while, and once they looked to be sprouting i put them into a pot to try and grow....but i lost them all? So i was wondering where i wnet wrong, as i still have a few seeds left and would like another go. Not sure if i kept the pot too dry, too warm/cool, planted them too deep etc etc also are you supposed to put the seeds a certain way in the pots doing it this way, or can you just literally chuck em in the pot and dust over with a bit of compost?

regards
Phil