HELP Identification of three cactus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Grub wurm
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

HELP Identification of three cactus

Post by Grub wurm »

Hi all I'm new to cactus world and was wondering if anyone could identify these cactus for me? so i can look after them to the best of my ability and know what soil mix to get when they need re-potting, watering etc..
rsz_1rsz_dscf2111.jpg
Last edited by Bill on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use "Place inline" when posting pictures. Thanks
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: HELP Identification of three cactus

Post by Phil Hocking »

Welcome to the forum - you've come to the right place. I think you have, left to right, a Gymnocalycium, Aloe ferox and Astrophytum ornatum. Something like that anyway. I prefer to grow them in a mixture of John Innes number 2 with about one third added grit. Avoid peat based compost or anything that claims to be 'cactus compost'. Water them from April to October and always let them dry out before watering again. They can stay dry over the winter indoors in a cool light position. During the growing season avoid watering if it looks like there is going to be a protracted period of cold damp weather. They will forgive you for keeping them dry for long periods but could easily perish if kept in cold soggy conditions.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Grub wurm

Post by Grub wurm »

Thanks a lot Phil i was looking for ages on Google to try find them, i had no idea the Aloe ferox could grow so big could i contain the size of it by trimming the roots once a year or so?
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi Grub Wurm,

Welcome to the Forum, I hope you find it useful and I am sure you will find it friendly.

I have to beg to differ with Phil over the identification of the Aloe, I think it is Aloe broomii, it turns up very frequently in the garden centres and places like Ikea, it will still get quite large, but perhaps not quite as big as Aloe ferox.

Good growing and enjoy your plants.

Suzanne Mace
McFarland
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by McFarland »

What suzanne said, the aloe is broomii
Grub wurm

Post by Grub wurm »

Thanks for the replies now i know what they are i can treat them accordingly, I've noticed on the broomii on the right hand side, one of the leaves have a black spot and is turning yellow is there a problem with it or is there nothing to worry about? i'm not sure if you can quite see it in the picture
anttisepp
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by anttisepp »

Gymnocalycium monvillei
Etelä-Karjala, Suomi-Finland
Greenlarry
Registered Guest

Post by Greenlarry »

Lovely trio! I used to have Aloe ferox, and it got big and spiky. Those spines are painful come repotting time! Fabulous tho!
You can take the boy out of the greenhouse, but you can't take the greenhouse out of the boy!